Shelf Project

Thanks for the input!

As for the material choice, I was thinking 7/8" plywood that we build upholstery frames from (CNC cut) with any secondary processes completed in our dwindling workshop. The CNC router leaves some fuzzy edges, so they will be softened a small amount to clean them up, but I like the idea of putting a large radius on them.

One part of the design that the rending doesn’t show is how the parts interlock. Some of the ‘ribs’ will be screwed in place, while others will be doweled and glued. The back plate and vertical also interlock and get anchored to a wall stud in multiple places. I’ll have to see if I can create an exploded version when I get some down time at the office to show the structural details.

The main reasoning for the single centered vertical is so that it can be anchored to a wall stud and still remain centered over the coworker’s desk. The back plate can also be screwed to the wall, but even if drywall anchors are used they will carry much less weight, but probably enough to handle any torsional forces.

It all may be in vain if the project gets shot down - so I may return with a simplified shelf for review at some point!