Close

Re: Clug Bike Clip

Postby jon_winebrenner » May 5th, 2014, 10:23 am

jon_winebrenner

iab wrote:For my .02.

I have several bikes, all with different wheelbases. With this design, I would have to place the clips at different heights on the wall for optimum "clippage". Not the end of the world, but it isn't easy either.

You're right, you would need to have a Clug for each bike and you would (likely) need to have them mounted at different heights.

What about marks on the wall from the lower tire? Will you offer something or will it be up to the customer?

You can mount 2 Clugs (one for each wheel) to prevent the marks on the wall. That's our only solution at the moment. Well, unless you count our office where we have an electrical conduit at exactly the right height that keeps the wall from getting scuffed :)

When hanging or clipping a bike to the wall in this manner, it will twist from side to side. The edge of your clip furthest from the wall will be under a torque load when the bike twists. Being a printed part, my concern would be breakage at the corner where the wall surface and the protruding surface meet.

We thought this would be a problem as well. But, testing so far has proven otherwise. The final production parts will be injection molded out of Nylon (to start) and we will be testing with other recyclable materials once the tooling is done.

Is the "lip" intended to grab the ID of the rim? If yes, you will obviously have issues with with different tire sizes, rim heights and rim profiles.

No, it grips the tire. Sizes are an issue. The current model works well with 23mm - 28mm. We have a 2" mountain bike version being tested now.

And finally, I don't know if this matters, but it is more efficient to store bikes alternating nose to tail because of the width of the bars (42cm is 16.5 inches, studs are 16 inches on center). Your image has only the front wheel clipped but you should consider the rear wheel could be clipped.

Yup, there are compromises in the design. But there are in all designs. It also ships with two drywall anchors and screws. So you don't need a stud...although it is recommended. You can back the bike against the wall and clip it that way...which is what I think you're describing...not sure.

Postby jon_winebrenner » May 5th, 2014, 10:29 am

jon_winebrenner

sanjy009 wrote:You could look at setting up an api at a bureau (shapeways/ sculpteo/ formwurx) to let punters customize for tire size. You wouldn't have the problem of your stl files being released into the wild, but with bureau costs and shipping it would probably be more expensive than buying an I.M part.

We stressed over this a bit. We likely will also set up at shapeways, etc. But at the of the day,I believe that whether the STL files make it into the wild or not, this is the kind of product that will be knocked off in a nano second. We're simply saving the pirates a few hours of CAD modelling. Conceivably is has been knocked off already if there's trolls on this forum looking for such a thing. Like music and books, designers have to face this in the coming years. Part of this is an experiment for me to see if facing the problem head on is the right thing to do or not.

This project is more about Hurdler Studios, and less about Clug. If we can make them both a success, all the better.

Postby iab » May 5th, 2014, 11:19 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

jon_winebrenner wrote:No, it grips the tire. Sizes are an issue. The current model works well with 23mm - 28mm. We have a 2" mountain bike version being tested now.

Touring, randonneuring, cross and urban commuting tires run the 28mm-50mm between the road and mountain tire sizes. You may to fill in your line. ;)

Postby iab » May 5th, 2014, 11:20 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

And one other thing.

Several of my bikes have latex tubes which loose all of their air in a week. Will my bike drop?

Postby jon_winebrenner » May 5th, 2014, 11:42 am

jon_winebrenner

iab wrote:And one other thing.

Several of my bikes have latex tubes which loose all of their air in a week. Will my bike drop?

Yes...this isn't for those bikes.

Postby yo » May 5th, 2014, 11:58 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Nice project Jon! super clean design.

My only question is what is going on in that avatar? :-)

Postby jon_winebrenner » May 5th, 2014, 12:33 pm

jon_winebrenner

yo wrote:My only question is what is going on in that avatar? :-)

It's a blobfish...was accurately representing how I was feeling the day I switched over to it....that and it is memorable. :D

Postby yo » May 5th, 2014, 1:17 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

that is a real fish? crazy!

Postby jon_winebrenner » May 5th, 2014, 6:00 pm

jon_winebrenner

yo wrote:that is a real fish? crazy!

Yes and yes :)

Postby Azrehan » May 5th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Azrehan
step four
step four

I like it.

Could you turn them sideways and use as coat/bag hangers also?

It would be cool to be able to clip in your bike, hang your bag and coat and have it all looking neat.

Postby jon_winebrenner » May 6th, 2014, 1:28 pm

jon_winebrenner

Azrehan wrote:I like it.

Could you turn them sideways and use as coat/bag hangers also?

It would be cool to be able to clip in your bike, hang your bag and coat and have it all looking neat.

Absolutely....we've already tinkered around with hanging hammers and stuff around the shop.

At the end of the day, we invite anyone to think of their own uses for Clug....but only if they send us a picture of how they are using it :)

Postby golariu » May 11th, 2014, 7:22 am

golariu

Hello,

Very interesting, I am also working on improving mounting solutions and based on this experience I would like to provide some feedback to your design, specifically about the wall mounting and the prototyping. The clip itself it a neat device, certainly looks nice in the rendering.

In my opinion, there are some issues with the wall installation.

1. As it is presented right now, it seems that the clip must be attached into a wall stud or otherwise after a few operations it will come out and rip a part of the drywall in the process.
2. It seems challenging to determine the precise the location of the clip based on the dimensions of the bike.
3. Once installed, a clip can only be used with that particular bike or one that is very similar.
4. "Finding" the clip on the wall when trying to hang the bike will certainly lead to messing up the wall around it.
5. Removing the clip (for whatever reason) will leave behind the mounting holes that will need to be fixed up.

Regarding the prototyping, I have never used PLA plastic but I read that it is sensitive to temperature and humidity conditions. I am wondering if you have experienced warping or deformations in the PLA-printed parts.

As I said, I am also working on mounting applications. I think that your clip may work very well with the system I designed as far as wall mounting is concerned. My mounting solution (I call it Locklip mounts) uses rails instead of placing the mounting device directly on the mounting area.

There are several advantages to this approach:
- The clips can be placed anywhere on the rail thus allowing the use of many different bikes in the same location.
- The clips can be removed while the rails can be left behind, re-used for other purposes (hangers) or just left unused as they look good on their own.
- The wheel of the bike can be rolled up on the rail until it snaps into the clip thus avoiding nasty marks on the wall - the rail is easy to clean.

Anyway, I made some renderings of how I think the two solutions might work together.
Attachments
bike-01.jpg
bike-03.jpg
bike-03.jpg (104.91 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
bike-04.jpg
bike-04.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Gabriel L. Olariu

Facebook
Twitter

Postby chevisw » May 13th, 2014, 8:23 am

chevisw
full self-realization
full self-realization

what about children s bikes?

Postby jon_winebrenner » May 13th, 2014, 9:23 am

jon_winebrenner

chevisw wrote:what about children s bikes?

We have that on the drawing board. We started with our need (road bikes) and now we're developing other sizes with Mountain bikes and kids' bikes next.

Our video is done now:

[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/94304658[/vimeo]

Postby sanjy009 » May 15th, 2014, 7:19 am

sanjy009
full self-realization
full self-realization

Saw it on cool hunting, supported it on Kickstarter.
I'm treating this like the mafia...one day I may ask you do do a favour for me...

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to projects