Close

rkuchinsky

bepster wrote:Hi guys,

This one's for you gamers out there!
I did the ID concept for a new Gaming speaker that launched today: the Logitech G560

Really cool! I don't game, but love the concept of the lights matching the screen. I remember there was a Philips TV with some sort of backlight behind the bezel that did this, but never saw it in real life and not sure how bleeding color works on a movie (when you typically want it black around the screen) vs. a more immersive gaming environment or passive computing one where this would enhance the atmosphere.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Re: Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

Postby bepster » March 15th, 2018, 5:56 pm

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

rkuchinsky wrote:

I remember there was a Philips TV with some sort of backlight behind the bezel that did this, but never saw it in real life and not sure how bleeding color works on a movie (when you typically want it black around the screen) vs. a more immersive gaming environment or passive computing one where this would enhance the atmosphere.

R

Thanks Richard.

My girlfriend rented a temporary apartment recently and it had one of of those older Phillips TVs with the ambient lighting.
I think for movies or watching the news, I really didn't care or notice it much.
But one night we were watching a skiing/mountaineering documentary and it was surprisingly effective as it washed the walls in cool blue during the cold icy nights and started to warm the room when the sun came up. It was definitely immersive.

I am not much of a gamer myself ironically but that experience convinced me and I realized how much this is just about temperature and the emotional triggers and values we assign to color.

Postby yo » March 15th, 2018, 10:24 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I said it on LinkedIn, but I'll repeat it here for our c77 crew, congrats! You guys are doing some very nice work!

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

Nice work on those speakers! The LED ambilight is good for immersion but many people never turn it off - for anything else non-immersive like the news it looks cheap and a bit harsh. LEDs need good diffusers or cast indirect light to create a beautiful ambience, but these speakers do that pretty well!
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Postby MK19 » March 17th, 2018, 10:52 am

MK19
step three
step three

The page with the 9 concept forms - is that sketchbook/ps or 3-D CAD?

Postby bepster » March 18th, 2018, 2:25 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

MK19 wrote:The page with the 9 concept forms - is that sketchbook/ps or 3-D CAD?

Just PS sketches.
For presentations, I often just do frontview/sideview/topview elevations in Photoshop to explore different directions.
They are very quick to pump out and its easy for me to get into a rythm. For this project I did about 30.

For me CAD is just to elaborate and slow at an early stage and handsketches often don't give me the right amount of dimensional guidance to consider the internal structure for a good idea about proportions. I always draw the PS concepts at 1:1 scale and use these renders for modelmaking as well.
The hand sketches in this image were actually done after PS rounds and before CAD.

Postby yo » March 19th, 2018, 8:42 am

yo
Administration
Administration

One from the archives. I was going through some old sketchbooks this weekend and found some of my original drawings for the Polk Command bar which integrates full Amazon Alexa functionality into a sound bar. It was so fun to work with the team at Amazon and the Polk engineering team lead by Matt Lyons and Mark Werle on this. This product was unveiled at CES in January.
Attachments
5AA94951-5A3B-4C66-ACC2-F14D9F05DCC6.jpeg
7BFFFFF3-1243-41CA-B515-52AC5B5DE17F.jpeg
2DAC0BB1-E0C7-4F78-A084-EBA535DD3292.jpeg

Postby bepster » March 20th, 2018, 1:31 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

Really nice Michael!
That scalloped detail is really cool but I kinda would also have loved to see that surfaced protrusion you sketched :wink:

Postby yo » March 20th, 2018, 10:20 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Thanks Bengt. In the end we went down rather than up for a simple reason, TV stand heights. Functionally you really only have 2" of safe zone to play with. The scoop also made for some nice light reflections from the LED ring (we ended up raising the ring a little less than 1mm)... but it also contained those reflections. A little bit of them is a nice aesthetic feature emphasizing when it is listening, but too much reflection under your TV viewing screen can be an annoyance, so the scoop nicely contains that. All of the final surfacing was done by Mark Werle, he did a fantastic job. The back I/O port also perfectly fits an Amazon FireStick.... getting the fabric to wrap 360 degrees was a challenge with the factory. I went over to talk through construction methods and work out a bunch of the construction details.

I agree though, the surfacing on that raised one would have been really fun :D ... in the doodle some of that bulge is going up, and some is going back. I was thinking perhaps the bar could be shallow but have depth locally to accommodate the LED/mic array... but we ended up needing the depth for acoustic cabinet volume.

Previous

Return to projects