Close

Re: Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

Postby Cyberdemon » January 8th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

iab wrote:Our distributor is ADSI Online. Will they have units to ship? If not, do you have a launch date?

Won't be for a few months still, don't have the exact date when channel partners will have it.

engio wrote: Are you able to share how the product came to be then? I mean, did someone (you?) just make a concept and hang it on the wall? Made a moonlighting prototype?

What's the business model on the customization, how will that work?

There were a number of concept models done to try and "rejuvenate" that division of the business - as you can imagine the shelf life of a bar code scanner is surprisingly long, and we make quite a good bit of money on products that are over 10 years old.

They were presented and well received, but were ultimately given the "Thanks but no thanks" until a few months later when the then president of the company took a tour of the ID lab and saw the product and instantly saw the potential for success.

The real design challenge was keeping both the ID form and experience alive and executing on the design concept without destroying it. Things like the branding bezel were seen as unnecessary costs and almost everything was threatened to be be jettisoned at some point or another and it took a lot of fighting to get engineers to build a product that was "Forced" upon them.

The customization is handled internally for large customers, so anyone ordering a few hundred scanners can get a custom bezel included. The one-off options for customization are still TBD.

Postby m_Rall » January 9th, 2014, 9:54 am

m_Rall

New to the boards and wanted to share a newly released product that I licensed to Mustard. It is an Ironing Board cover that shows the user how to lay their shirt for the perfect press. Here is the product description:

"Not many domestic chores evoke more political debate and cause more arguments than ironing. So it’s dangerous to even write this without taking sides. We will remain neutral and simply say that if you know someone (non-gender specific) who could iron more often, or you are someone who would like to take control of this task and smooth out relations with a certain someone; then our step-by-step instruction printed ironing board is for you. It tells you exactly where to place shirts and trousers to get the best results, increasing the peace in the home and making you look better too!"

http://www.justmustard.com/ironing-man.html

Thanks for reading.

http://www.coroflot.com/michaelrall
Attachments
final4.jpg
Ironing Man Close-up
final3.jpg
Ironing Man

Postby copyboy » January 9th, 2014, 2:58 pm

copyboy
step four
step four

Not released quite yet, but announced at CES and getting some good initial feedback. Great way to kick off the new year! :D

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/steammachine/

Postby Lmo » January 9th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Lmo

Welcome to the boards Michael.

Pushing the SPAM envelope a bit you are, but given the relationship with the product I'll let is slide.

Clever stuff. I never could iron my shirts "square".
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Postby Cameron » January 11th, 2014, 1:19 am

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

CyberDemon, that looks awesome, nice work and great story! No one can trump the power of a great concept the head honcho sees! I'd love to hear the UX sounds as well!

I've been meaning to post some of my work here for a while. The first I have time for, the Polk Hampden bluetooth speakers, were announced at CES this week, coming in early Spring. I have some other projects to share, I've just been so busy, I'll get to it eventually!

The brief: evolve the traditional desktop/bookshelf speaker for the wireless age
My approach: illustrate the dichotomy of analog audio and digital wireless tech with materials and part breakup
The solution: wood cabinet sandwiched by techie plastic parts

Notable highlights:
- Real Teak Veneer
- Analog volume dial
- Bluetooth/USB/Aux
- Color-based source indication
- Down-firing port (the best kind)
- Horizontal anodized heatsink
- 4 way custom connector crossover
Attachments
Hamden_Sketches3FinalDirection.jpg
Obligatory crappy thumbnail that led to the final direction
Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 10.13.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 10.13.13 PM.png
Last edited by Cameron on January 11th, 2014, 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cameron Nielsen
Personal Site / Coroflot / LinkedIn
"there is an inherent intelligence to beauty" - Dori Tunstall

Postby Cameron » January 11th, 2014, 1:22 am

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

One more to show the rest of the design. Some screw bosses were added to the back, but I'm pretty happy with all the love that went into every side of these boxes. I'll post some more detail shots when they get to MP, some details aren't ready yet. =)
Attachments
hampden_04_Rear.jpg
Cameron Nielsen
Personal Site / Coroflot / LinkedIn
"there is an inherent intelligence to beauty" - Dori Tunstall

Postby NURB » January 11th, 2014, 8:52 am

NURB

Those are beautiful Cameron. Nice work! Definitely not he short list for me to check out. I'm tired of the internal iMac speakers at home...
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby yo » January 13th, 2014, 12:49 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Cyberdemon wrote:I'm excited for this one, it's been almost 4 years in the making and is a fantastic story about design leading the product vision. It was a product that no one in the organization asked for, but was so visually compelling that the then president of the company took one look at it and said "why aren't we building this?". It has the industry's first capacitive touch trigger, which is illuminated by a dead front pattern behind the brushed metal that disappears when in the stand and pulses when at rest to let you know the scanner is ready. It also is the first bar code scanner with a speaker capable of playing rich tones rather than the ubiquitous "BEEEP". The top bezel is also user customizable so it can be replaced by the customer with their own brand if desired. You should see these popping up in several high end retailers before the end of the year.

Some more images and a video demonstrating some of the UX can be seen on my Coroflot below and here:

somehow I missed this earlier. Beautiful work!

Postby bepster » January 13th, 2014, 2:04 pm

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

I am a little surprised that the scanner doesn't have the new Motorola wordmark and logo on it, which they changed when, I believe, Google got involved.

Is there a reason?

Postby choto » January 13th, 2014, 7:45 pm

choto

bepster wrote:I am a little surprised that the scanner doesn't have the new Motorola wordmark and logo on it, which they changed when, I believe, Google got involved.

Is there a reason?

They are two different companies Motorola Mobility (Google owned) and Motorola Solutions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Solutions

Postby bepster » January 13th, 2014, 9:03 pm

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

ahhhh, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Postby choto » January 14th, 2014, 8:59 am

choto

Awesome work btw Cyber!

Postby NURB » January 14th, 2014, 7:39 pm

NURB

Front paged on Coroflot! Nice job, Mike!
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby Cyberdemon » January 14th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Thanks guys! You'll probably see these popping up in some of your favorite (or your wive's favorite ;-) ) retailers before the end of the year.

Postby VanDeBar » January 15th, 2014, 11:34 am

VanDeBar
step three
step three

Our 2014 catalog just came out so here are a few projects I worked on in 2013 that have just been released.

Tower Grater
Can be used like a regular tower grater but also each faces are detachable for individual use.

Herb Knife
Herb knife with integrated herb stripper in the blade. Added some sketches and process in there.

Cocktail shaker
Cocktail shaker with an integrated measuring cup at the top. This item has a unique mechanism so that you measure the ingredients and dispense them inside the shaker by turning the transparent jigger. Designing an easy to clean mechanism that had this function was rather challenging.

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to projects