Close

Re: Smart Watch

Postby Brett_nyc » March 16th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Brett_nyc
full self-realization
full self-realization

As far as the hardware goes, do a quick search of Baselworld 2012 and SIHH 2012. You'll see a pretty good cross section of what the watch world is thinking right now.

Postby Jakebot » March 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Jakebot
step three
step three

Baselworld looks interesting, too bad it's in Switzerland!

http://media.messe.ch/epaper/BASELWORLD ... 120314.pdf
Looking at one of their magazines from the show(link above), a couple of brands jump out at me as an aesthetic I may want to try for (minus the diamonds): Versace and Roamer.
Versace.JPG

Roamer.JPG

EDIT: I have some research on watch style trends already, I'll get a board together soon with my research and some of the Baselworld trends.

Postby Jakebot » March 21st, 2012, 12:14 pm

Jakebot
step three
step three

I've been making some progress on both the hardware design and the interface.

Yo: I've been thinking a lot about your comments. I think I want the watch to take a lot of inspiration from existing watches, and showcase its new functionality. I still want to keep a fairly minimal aesthetic, though, so it will definitely have a different look than many watches already out there.

Watch_Sketches.jpg

Currently my favorite look is a straight side profile and a slight diamond pattern cut into the bezel. Minimal and functional, yet still cool-looking.

As for the UI, I took the advice of Brett_nyc and based it on a more familiar-looking watch face to make it easier to read.

Smart Watch 6.jpg

I've added a few new features, such as a calendar, a timer, a compass, and GPS (not entirely sure about GPS, but why not?). The idea behind the Calendar is that it keeps track of either how many appointments you have or how many tasks you complete and displays a kind of info-graphic that shows how much you've completed over the course of the year. It also displays how busy you'll be in the future so you can quickly tell if you can 'make that meeting' or 'take that vacation', etc.

The 'App Menu' wouldn't be seen normally and would be invoked with a double-press. Normally you switch apps by simply spinning the bezel, but the app menu lets you navigate to a specific app or turn the watch off.

Postby yo » March 21st, 2012, 5:46 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

You might poor through this site, lots of reference, new and vintage: http://www.watchismo.com/

Postby Jakebot » March 21st, 2012, 9:01 pm

Jakebot
step three
step three

Thanks a lot, that'll be a great resource! I thought I'd mock up something to show where my head's at right now with the look of the watch. Shown with a leather strap.

Smart Concept 1.jpg

Postby yo » March 21st, 2012, 11:39 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

That is looking much more designed than your initial pass. Make sure you investigate where the strap interfaces with the actual case. That intersection of materials is critical, as well as the fit adjustment. In a wrist based device a single mm can be the difference between something that is elegant and right to something that looks undersized or cartoonishly large. Try printing out top views in different sized and placing them on your wrist. Make quick 3D studies to get the sense of the right thicknesses.

Postby Jakebot » March 29th, 2012, 10:55 am

Jakebot
step three
step three

Yo: Thanks, mocking up the watch is a good idea. And you're right about the watch strap, If I'm using a standard watch strap I'll have to be very careful about the attachment points. I really appreciate your input so far, it's helping me to move this project forward. I just got back from a weeklong vacation to the Grand Canyon (it was pretty cool!), so I'll be starting up work on this project again this weekend.

Postby yo » March 29th, 2012, 5:44 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Good, good, looking forward to checking it out.

Postby Jakebot » April 1st, 2012, 4:12 pm

Jakebot
step three
step three

Here are a few more thoughts on how the watch is put together and how you would charge it:
watch side views 1.jpeg
watch side views 1.jpeg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

watch strap.jpeg
watch strap.jpeg (133.52 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

watch charging 1.jpeg
watch charging 1.jpeg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 3462 times

Postby yo » April 1st, 2012, 7:39 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

What is that, Penultimate? I hate sketches from that program. So corse!

How do you pop the strap on and off if those spring loaded pins are blind?

Also, with all that tech on the wrist, you might want a more robust connection, like a 1/4 turn lock down of the assembly, so it doesn't pop off when you knock your wrist against something.

Think about raising the fidelity of your hardware visualization. Right now your UI is tightened down but your hardware visuals are sloppy!

Reference:
http://www.coroflot.com/thierry-fischer?keywords=watch&
http://www.coroflot.com/dragotta?keywords=watch&
http://www.coroflot.com/austinlee?keywords=watch&
http://www.coroflot.com/katiahelwig?keywords=watch&
http://www.coroflot.com/jacobhood?keywords=watch&
http://david-whetstone.com/

Postby Jakebot » April 1st, 2012, 10:40 pm

Jakebot
step three
step three

Haha, yeah these are definitely loose sketches, I was trying out that new iPad app 'Paper'. I'll pull these drawings into Sketchbook Pro and tighten them up. Looking at some of those references, my sketches are not quite up to snuff! Those Fischer Thierry sketches look like they were done after the design was already in CAD, so that might be a bit difficult to achieve at this stage. The Austin Lee drawings look tight but more achievable to me.

For those pins, I could probably add a hole piercing through to the outside of the casing. That way you could push one side in with a paper clip. There could even be a button on the side that releases the pin without tools. Or I could always go the Scott Wilson route and use hex bolts, like with Tik Tok.

For the connection points, I was thinking of having magnets at the bottom and the square peg would just be for alignment. Sorry, I must have left that bit out. But that's a good idea, I'll have to do a page of sketches on connection techniques.

EDIT: I'm working on tightening up the hardware design, more updates soon!

Postby Jakebot » April 7th, 2012, 1:10 am

Jakebot
step three
step three

I started tightening up the design a bit more, showing how the band interacts with the watch backing. The watch is held in place with a set of magnets, letting you swap out the band and backing quickly for a different color or style.
01-Smart Watch Concept 1.jpg

02-Smart Watch Concept 1 - assembly 1.jpg

05-Smart Watch Concept 1 - White.jpg

Postby Jakebot » April 7th, 2012, 1:29 am

Jakebot
step three
step three

This view of the underside shows a bit more of how the strap interacts with the backing. You can also see a set of charging connections on the back of the watch that also function as a serial port.

03-Smart Watch Concept 1 - assembly 2b.jpg

04-Smart Watch Concept 1 - back.jpg

EDIT: The pin release can be pressed in with a paper clip or small tool to remove the strap from the watch backing.
06-Smart Watch Concept 1 - Pin Release.jpg
06-Smart Watch Concept 1 - Pin Release.jpg (119.74 KiB) Viewed 3278 times

I'm still trying to think of other ways to secure the watch itself to the backing. Magnets are the easy solution but may not be durable enough. Maybe I could use something similar to the old Macbook Pro latches, which only use magnets to deploy small pins which secure the screen closed. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Postby yo » April 7th, 2012, 7:47 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

The small details are making it feel more real. The buckle doesn't seem to match the design right now.

I'm dubious of the magnet connection. As someone who bangs their watch around a bit, I'm concerned it will pop off. You could make a dirty prototype by popping the mechanism out of an inexpensive swatch and gluing a magnet in there. Then glue a magnet onto a cylinder of material. Wear the assembly for a week and see if it pops off in casual use.

Postby Jakebot » April 7th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Jakebot
step three
step three

I was thinking that it would be nice to use an off-the-shelf strap to make the watch more customizable, but the strap could stand to be a little more design-ey.

I'm a little unsure about the magnet too, I'll keep thinking of some other options. I do think there should be some sort of mechanism to secure it in place better, it's just that since the whole bezel spins to navigate the UI I'll have to get a bit creative with any locks that involve spinning or turning. In the end I just want to make it as fool-proof as possible for the end user to swap out watch straps.

I the mean time, here are a few paper mock ups I made to help figure out the right scale:
paper watches set.jpg

paper straps layout.jpg

This first sketch model was made from the 42mm watch face and I think it looks alright on my wrist (maybe a little bulky). Next I'll have to see what size watch looks good on a girl's wrist.
Foam Model 2a.jpg

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to projects