Hunt Coffee Tamper

Just calling as I see it. Doesn’t look like it would be so great to use. Hard to tell from a photo of course.

R

Thanks for your feedback. Do they make good coffee in Canada?

They do. And I’m a coffee guy. Have a decent rancillio set up at the studio.

R

Silvia? she’ll work a treat. Mmmm.
I travelled around the US for ages trying to find a good coffee. Boy-o-boy was it hard to find good espresso.
Australia is the coffee capital of the world!

I don’t use a coffee tamper myself, but the sharp shapes look counter intuitive to something hand held where pressure is exerted downward.

I use a tamper everyday for my coffee. I think your design doesn’t look right as of yet but I can see the direction you want to go. Look at products online that are edgy and try to apply it to your design. Right now the sides that are chipped away don’t balance nicely with the rest of the product

Check this image and also think if you want to apply some other material to it
Asus-Lamborghini-Mouse.jpg

… 1976, what does a mouse have to do with tamping coffee?

Someone, tell me why any coffee tamper would retail for $75US? Better yet … tell me why anyone would pay that?

As anything else - quality, materials, design. I think the reg barber one I got was around $75 or so but it’s a beauty in fine turned wood, and metal and works great to apply the even and consistent pressure you need to tamp with.

R

These are $85, but has more to do with the name on it, than anything.

The faceted design style is popular right now, for me it’s one I quite like. For example, Nuforce makes a digital amplifier with beautiful faceted fascia, there was that HTC phone a year or two ago with faceted back.

Isn’t this something better to be co-branded, i.e. part of a Rancillio line?

Some design for manufacturing comments:

An assymetric faceted block could be machined by 3, 4 or 5 axes CNC machine, regardless it will by quite expensive either way: many setups require experienced expensive machinist vs. shop rate for 5 axis CNC machine time on small custom projects is usually a very high hourly rate.

The recessed H internal corner radii can not be machined. Die sink EDM would work. Also, food prep is messy hands on work, any recessed detail will attract and hold dirt.

Sorry guys, it’s lost on me; I don’t see the attraction. But then, I prefer my inherited 100+ year old cast iron stuff to the Le Creuset we were given as wedding presents.

Judging by the plethora of coffee tampers already out there I’m surprised every man, woman, and child on the planet doesn’t have at least two…

Is there a reason to 5 axis machine all those facets on there? Otherwise this could be done on a CNC lathe at about 1/20 the price, and no loss of function. The facets also make the joint where the handle meets the circular base look sloppy.

Are these really costing you $150 to make? You need to shop around more, even for a 5 axis part, that is very high. To make a normal wholesale business case for this, you’d have to retail them for at least $450, which is absurd.

In Australia the very popular pullman coffee tampers range from around $90-$150 so the pricing is not that absurd people do purchase them at this price

In term of this being a viable business start up. This has never been my plan. This is a tamper I made for myself for my own usage but i figured since I’ve set it all up why not offer it as a very limited production run of 60 or something.
For mass production I have other molded handles I’m working on.

Cost of production is high regardless of where it get manufactured china i can save some money but I have a local businesses that I would like to support.

Thanks to everyone for showing interest although critical. Stimulating rethinks is why its posted here.

Thanks again
Max

I’m not talking about sending it to China. Even in 5 axes, this is a simple part that can be done on a little Hass mill with a trunnion. I’d be disappointed if I couldn’t get these made for less than $30 in the US. But if you’re selling them at your cost anyway, then I guess it’s fairly irrelevant what the price is.

I would be stoked to get these done for as low as $30.
I’ll hunt again

Just trying to show how to blend edgy surfaces with round ones

I’d love one of those tampers. Over 100 for a tamper is a little out of my range but if you hit 50 or 60 pull have my order.

Sure thing. Im working on it. Small batch orders at the minute are setting the price a little higher but in time. Thanks

I guess it seems silly to me to insist in the faceted language on the handheld part and then go with the traditional turned looking base. They forms are butting heads at this point and the fit up is calling you out. The only part of the base that needs to be round it the very bottom outside where it meets the portafilter basket. The rest of the base could be faceted like everything else and then you would have a more cohesive looking part (go hard or go home) addressing the fit up Scott talked about and potentially reducing the whole thing into one part made on one machine.

I had one of my friends turn a simple shape out of Solid Stainless for me and I LOVE it, the weight is bananas.

r*

Barber tampers is much much better as compare to hunt coffee tamper what i experience dude. :bulb:
Cara coffee table