tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

m3rik: Thanks for your feedback. Yes I will definitely keep the time it takes to make a model into consideration.

asango: The technology for non-rectangular and irregular shaped LCD screens exists (and has for several years: http://www.eetindia.co.in/ART_880052468 ... fa46b6.HTM).

There actually will be a tiny bezel (like 1/16 of an inch) but I didn't show it in the rendering.

Again, this project is very much a look into the future, with technology that I know to exist (although not yet in a marketable form) like the irregular shaped LCD, muscle wire embedded Santoprene, and paper thin batteries.

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

ID refinement and proportions
View it in its natural habitat: http://blog.tarng.com/post/1643935508/i ... roportions

Testing
I took the models I made last time and gave them to people with various hand sizes and phone usage (from iPhones to dumbphones) to see what felt right. What I was looking for was which model had the more comfortable and pleasing proportions, and if a color break between black/color would be better than a solid color. I also wanted to see if people preferred a full screen, or a screen that was slightly cut off at the bottom.

In the end, the silver/black combination was the most pleasing and I decided to proceed with similar proportions.

Proportion variations
I lasercut a couple of variations on the proportions to see what felt right. I used clear acrylic and am planning on painting them right after this post. I did: original proportion, slightly wider (1/8”), 102% of original, and 105% of original.

After some testing I decided to go with something between the original and slightly wider. The width gives more volume to grasp, and also gives more “breathing space” for your eyes when using the UI.

Here’s a shot comparing the wide and the original silver/black. I think the black part will be too thin (the 1/16” acrylic on the right).

^A shot comparing the original and the wide. I am planning on using a happy medium with a 1/16” width addition to the original.

The wide
Here’s some shots of the wide with UI mockups applied. I think I will proceed with the full screen UI because functionally there’s no reason not to, and aesthetically the empty part at the bottom of the cut-off one is strange.

All the commonly used elements are within an ergonomically comfortable range. The avatar, volume bar, clock, and paradigm zip are less used and only slightly beyond the range and can still be accessed.

I also cut out a portion of the mockups to slide the 136g weight I have from the iPhone4 model I bought from China.

What’s next?
I’m going to cut out an in-between version of the original and wide, and paint it. After I’ve finalized that I will move into an illustrator rendering or CAD model.

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

Semi-final ID

This post is late…

Before break, I had completed the semi-final ID mockup with acrylic and santoprene.

Here’s a look at the history of this particular design.

I have arrived at the final proportions and size (on the left above).

However, after I made this prototype I realized that I had the peelstand on the wrong side: when putting it in its side-stand mode, the ID is facing the wrong side and the camera button is on the bottom.

Here is a shot of the UI printed out and mounted on the ID. The thickness of the paper sort of skews the look and feel, but I think the aesthetics are fairly cohesive.

Here’s a look at the peelstand.

The last image shows the face down notification peel that reveals a color accented edge.

I took this design and rendered the final design in illustrator. I still need to resolve some fine details.

The charger port is a cut-out that can be pushed in. The hole reveal connector prongs when the cut-out is pushed in (by the charger). When the battery is low, the cut-out is magnetically “pulled” in, and a red LED turns on to indicate an open mouth and that it needs to be charged.

The peelstand has several components that it covers. However, none of these components are actually within the santoprene. The camera lens peeks out through a whole, as does the flash. The perforation in the top right allows speaker sounds to come out. The bottom left is a mic. The logo is just an etched surface detail.

As you can see from the side views, the peelstand actually extends beyond the back surface, lifting the back surface from any potential damage, and also provides a non-slip grip for angled surfaces.

The camera button is separated from the rest of the ID with a parting line, and has a slight bump that is a graceful guide for finger placement, yet still melds with the rest of the UI and aesthetic.

===

I am currently writing the script for the final video (referencing the 10gui video structure), and when shop opens tomorrow, I will attempt to finish the final mockup (I have got all the parts, but I just need to do the final details of the ports and holes and the camera button).

I also just finished a bunch of UI stuff yesterday. I will blog about that soon.

rkuchinsky

Hi Julius,

Love the project and the very complete documentation. Just one thought when browsing the latest.

The peelstand to me seems a bit counter-intuitive. It would seem that the stand is upside down. By that, I mean that the more obvious solution (maybe not as innovative however) is that you would peel it out from the bottom to form a stand. Similar to a picture frame stand. Maybe I'm missing something on how it works, but as most stands pop out from the bottom, I wonder if users might be confused about the operation...

Just a quick thought.

Also wondering where a docking pin connection is... don't see it referenced.

R
Richard Kuchinsky / Directive Creator
http://www.rkuchinsky.com

The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hey R!

Yes the position of the peelstand is very functional. As you know, the peelstand allows the device to get up on its own. This upside down position allows it to get up to face the right way. If the peelstand were positioned as a picture frame stand, it could get up, but the screen would be upside down when it is up.

Docking pin = charger. I guess I didn't make that real clear.

Thanks for the feedback! It's helpful for me, because it's such a big project, and I forget to communicate every little detail (that I know myself).

===

I was in the shop today working on the final model. The spray paint wasn't working as well as I wanted to, so I decided to just finish off the model (photos later) and move into CAD renderings.

I also mocked up the modular internals that you can remove after fully peeling back the peelstand. You can customize and upgrade your internals (and mail your old ones back to the distributor), to lengthen your relationship and bond with Modai. Pull tab is to release it from the main device frame. Other components such as the logic board or vibrator that don't need to be upgraded as much are not-removable and are under the yellow part of the body.

Screen shot 2010-11-29 at 11.42.54 PM.png

Next on my to-do list is to plot out all the final presentation boards so I can start working on the content. Gotta balance this with my two tests and second studio project in the next two weeks!

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

Really behind on the updates. Been intensely working on Modai.

Here's what I've been doing:

1. Condensing the video, deciding what boards need to be made
2. Physical ID model for scale, material, weight (Done)
3. CAD model (Done)
4. Rendering (Hitting road bumps in terms of computer specs. Trying to use school's computer lab as rendering farm)
5. 3D printing CAD model for details, static stages in peelstand bends, modular internal components

I took a bunch of pictures and made a video of my model a few nights ago. If you can't tell, I'm dead tired.

Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 3.02.20 AM.png

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/17360957[/vimeo]

CAD model (first time using Rhino... used to be an Alias guy, Solidworks wasn't installing)

Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 3.02.49 AM.png

===

Show's on Dec 10th. Gotta design the booth/setup, too. #!@$@#%@#. And make the video.

choto

Good luck Julius, been a fun ride thus far! Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Remember that sleep is your friend, I always make the mistake of trying to work through the late night and usually regret not having gotten more sleep to work more efficiently the next day.

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

Thanks for the support! I'm currently doing this:
Rendering with Keyshot on 5 iMacs...

The 3D print failed miserably. Half of it didn't print, and the resolution was too low for the rest of it.

The renderings are looking sharp, though. Excited.

Preview:
Screen shot 2010-12-02 at 11.51.31 PM.png

Re: Project Modai: Process thread [FIN.]

Postby tarngerine » December 12th, 2010, 2:48 pm

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

Complete! final results posted in another thread since this one was getting lengthy. :D

Please take a look!
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23096

Previous

Return to projects

©2013 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list