Close

Postby ykh » November 19th, 2004, 8:55 am

ykh
full self-realization
full self-realization

good to see thread active. look forward to some new threads from people learning from YO.

@copyboy - how about staplers?

Postby dygitalvision » November 19th, 2004, 9:48 am

dygitalvision
full self-realization
full self-realization

will do-

early spring-shoes will be out. I think posting projects adds alot to the forum. and to educate about the process. what we have seen in posts and what has been said about the process of footwear and production design is really exciting and interesting. I have been compiling some of my work. and working with another graphic designer to design a book about footwear design. If anyone else is interested in being apart of this project please let me know. there are soo many books on design and i think a shadow has been casted over footwear design books. cant find any. the books you find about footwear are collectors books. like talking about the history a lil and then the collections. I think there is a mas market out there that would be interested in this. i am also connected to a print shop so production of a book wouldnt be an issue. also I have professors with connections to Barnes N Noble and Borders and other local book shops.

just a lil something to add in.

Postby yo » November 19th, 2004, 10:15 am

yo
Administration
Administration

4706 wrote:BTW how do you decide about materials and textures for the design you're working on because you started in the first one with a knit upper and switched to leather later.

A couple of things informed that decision.

1)Origionaly, a friend of mine told me about this machine that could weave an upper in one piece [amazinf], but it had only been done once before (on another Nike) and re-figuring it out was taking time away from figuring out how to make the thing fold properly, I wanted to make sure it functioned correctly and was comfortable, and if I persued the new material as well the project was in danger of being pushed back [which is usualy code around here for not going to happen at all, esp sice there was no marketing brief on this, I initiated the project and I was kind of ram rodding it through the system]

2)I wanted to get the product in places like Barneys NY, Fred Segal's in LA, Collete Paris, and so a more premium material way was kind of the way to go in the end anyway.

BTW 4706 - so cool illustrations on your site.

Postby 4706 » November 22nd, 2004, 6:29 pm

Thanks for the compliment Yo! It's a WIP so i'll be adding more later.

You said that there was no marketing brief. Does that mean that you have a lot of side projects that you try to push to the foreground? Because the cityknife is a series does that mean that is was going to be discontinued?

Postby yo » November 22nd, 2004, 7:37 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

For the MOST part, Nike keeps your work load is pretty light here so that you can figure new stuff out. If you are, as they say, a "Go Getter", there is a lot of opportunity. The City Knife 2, as much press as it got, didn't sell so well. I'm not sure if the series would have been disconinued (we get on, then off, then back on things so many times it's hard to tell), but there was an opportunity to spark in a product that worked better and was more sellable, so I took it! It worked out OK I think.

Previous

Return to projects