Close

Postby ufo » October 13th, 2004, 12:37 pm

ufo
full self-realization
full self-realization

ykh wrote:maybe the yacht (minus CEO) was there for repairs/tests. in which case i dont see any similarity. maybe there's a point?

so maybe you should send the wired project for repair/test to long beach. in which case i see a similarity! yeah maybe there's a point.

Postby yo » October 13th, 2004, 10:37 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I asked Phil Knight (CEO) why he parked his boat in the Long Beach port, yeah, believe it or not he sits in the little cube next to mine! He said he doesn't know what your talking about, but that the idea to engage people in the experience of an athlete could be pretty cool. Maybe if they experience some of the adrenaline rush, they will be encouraged to get off their but and get outside to attempt to get the full dose.

However Phil felt the form of the device didn't communicate a sporty feel and looked, perception wise, a bit fragile and precious. Otherwise Phil thought it was a solid concept and an amazing effort. He felt the video was pretty freaking hot, the car which you will hear more about in the future is cool as heck, and that the detailing on the device was stelar. Ol' Phil also highly appreciated the rough thumbnail sketches. These windows into a designer's thought proccess are few and far between, Awesome stuff Scott.

Phil appologises for blocking your view of the bay, he will take one of his private jets next time, or his newly comisioned spaceship 2 which is 900% human powered! Yeah it actually sells power back to the grid, what this guy won't do for a dime ufo, it's gross eh? That's why he sits in the cube next to mine, it's cheaper. Besides the beautiful zen garden he built on campass has a huge maintenance staff, my elite salary his huge, and all of the playgrounds he paid for in Portland cost doe, so he's gotta make it up somewhere.

Postby ufo » October 14th, 2004, 2:42 am

ufo
full self-realization
full self-realization

then i was misinformed.

in that case please tell mr knight i'm sorry for disturbing his zen concentration.

thinking about it

Postby mikes » October 19th, 2004, 3:57 pm

mikes

Scott,
My comments were a spontaneous, overly aggressive, and ill-conceived representation of some issues I feel strongly about. I apologize for the tone with which I expressed my thoughts at the time. I knew right away that they were misplaced and probably counterproductive. If there was an undo on this message board, you probably would never have seen my post in its current form. If it sounds like I have a Nike chip on my shoulder, its because I do, however, I have respect and admiration for your work and the work of many other creative people currently at Nike. A couple of the most talented designers I’ve ever worked with now work at Nike and I have completely different feelings for the people that work there than I do for Nike itself. Though I can’t say that I agree with all of your insights, I appreciate that you took the time to respond as well as give more information on your project.

When it comes to social issues like obesity and human rights issues like labor practices, I think most reasonable people would share the same basic feelings. It becomes a little more complicated, however, when you throw in a behemoth corporation that, by definition, is an entity with no conscience that must be more and more profitable each quarter. At the scale that Nike is, information they provide about corporate responsibility and labor practices cannot be seen as inherently true. I agree that Nike does do a lot of good things- certainly more than I am aware of. The fact that they have worked with MBDC is very admirable. The fact that they are increasing their use of organic cotton (2.5% of total cotton use according to Nike biz) is also admirable. And I just found out this weekend that they have agreed to donate soccer balls to a proposed new soccer field in Somkhele, South Africa which will be home to the first ever girls soccer league in that area. In my opinion, they would not be doing most of these things if it wasn’t for external pressure from “extremists”, as you call them. In the past, these “extremists” have been organizations fighting for the rights of abused and underpaid Nike factory workers. These organizations absolutely hounded Nike, especially from 1996-1999. Since then, it seems that Nike has done a lot to start to resolve the problems it never wanted to admit existed. But to many people, including myself, Nike remains a symbol of many things besides athletics.

Back to the project. My point is that if Nike’s mission is to inspire people to be athletic, perhaps putting overpaid athletes on a pedestal and coupling its corporate image with their personal achievements is not working so well. Maybe a measure of Nike’s success would be to look at countries such as the U.S. that have lived with Nike for many years and see if people are, on average, more athletic and more fit as a result. From what I know, this is not the case. From an outside perspective, I think Nike has played a big part in turning athletics from a participatory activity into passive entertainment. Sports are something you watch on TV or just talk about. I’m not sure what you mean when you say you meet so many inspired and motivated consumers. A motivated consumer is different than a motivated person. Are they motivated to buy or motivated to do? Are they motivated by the athletes or by the Nike corporation? There’s a difference right? Personally, I like EyeD scenario 3 because it does not involve professional athletes but empowers people to either compete against each other or to participate in their own events (like a charity run for example that anyone can participate in from where they live).

I know its hard enough to do what you do at the level you do it without people like me in your face. So sorry to turn your post into something it wasn’t meant to be. I think its extremely cool of you to post your work, especially the process and thinking. It makes everyone’s work better. Even awkward exchanges like this are probably constructive in the end. More interesting to me at least than talking about rendering software.

peace in the northwest

mike

Postby mikes » October 20th, 2004, 5:38 pm

mikes

Last edited by mikes on December 6th, 2005, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awesome

Postby junetic » October 20th, 2004, 10:52 pm

junetic

This thread was very interesting to read through and very inspiring as well. Thank you. A lot of ideas are now flooding my head from all of this. A couple of questions if I may ask:

-on scenario one:
I think the idea of having empathy of another persons athletic performance in a direct way to motivate the user is very interesting. Do you think there are other possibilities for communicating this 'motivational empathy'? (ie via communications of other person's heart beat, breath, temperature, pace, muscle stimulation...etc)

-on scenario two:
I think the concept of utilizing an augmented reality video game to make the experience of a sport more engaging and entertaining is awesome. I was imagining it was on the eyepiece and a game like mario cart can be played where the user picks up items and such and compete with other runners on the other side of the world. But how do you play a 'physical' video game with this car?

-on scenario three:
The social aspect of this area of thinking is so exciting and has so many possibilities specifically related to sports/exercise. Do you think this additional social dimension will be important for Nike to seriously research into? More specifically, the growing realm of social/mobile software/technologies..?
a few examples:
www.socialight.net
www.dodgeball.com

Also, these scenarios seem very specifically relevant to running. How do you think many of these technologies can be applied to organized sports?

Thanks again for inspiring!

Previous

Return to projects