Close

Re: Induction (Wireless) Charging Earbuds

Postby yo » November 21st, 2017, 9:45 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Are those USB-A connectors? Or Micro USB's that just look large because of the scale?

Postby tommyle » November 21st, 2017, 10:35 pm

tommyle
step two
step two

yo wrote:Are those USB-A connectors? Or Micro USB's that just look large because of the scale?

They’re micro USB, you’re right they look bigger because of the scale.
The wearable battery (what they call the infinity band) also charges via micro USB.

Postby yo » November 21st, 2017, 10:51 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Ok thanks. That makes more sense. Too bad they didn’t use USB-C. They are just so much cleaner looking and the fact that you can put them in eaither way is so nice. Really the core problems with these things are battery life (run time) and battery life (draining your phone by contantly using BT).... I find using a corded headphone much simpler than always remembering to charge my headphones after two hours of use. At some point battery tech will catch up but it isn’t there yet for daily long term use.

Postby holtag » November 22nd, 2017, 12:23 am

holtag
step four
step four

I bought some pretty awesome and tiny bluetooth earbuds here in HK for about 30usd. They look like a lipstick when charging, but they work really well for me. I use them one at a time, while the other is charging. They secure to the charger with magnets and have small springloaded connecters.

Pics here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KFWkCamye4eWjuJJlXTrh19UyAxz8WAp

Postby yo » November 22nd, 2017, 9:57 am

yo
Administration
Administration

That is a nice solution.

Postby tommyle » November 22nd, 2017, 10:47 am

tommyle
step two
step two

holtag wrote:I bought some pretty awesome and tiny bluetooth earbuds here in HK for about 30usd. They look like a lipstick when charging, but they work really well for me. I use them one at a time, while the other is charging. They secure to the charger with magnets and have small springloaded connecters.

Pics here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KFWkCamye4eWjuJJlXTrh19UyAxz8WAp

Nice! I would do the same while at work, use only one at a time.

Postby tommyle » November 22nd, 2017, 10:52 am

tommyle
step two
step two

yo wrote:Ok thanks. That makes more sense. Too bad they didn’t use USB-C. They are just so much cleaner looking and the fact that you can put them in eaither way is so nice. Really the core problems with these things are battery life (run time) and battery life (draining your phone by contantly using BT).... I find using a corded headphone much simpler than always remembering to charge my headphones after two hours of use. At some point battery tech will catch up but it isn’t there yet for daily long term use.

I was thinking the same thing yo, with USB-C.
In fact, I'm thinking of ditching the Qi style charging I sketched out earlier altogether.. for a built in magnetic USB-C charging.
See the image I attached.
I think it captures the benefits of what I was going for in the beginning, but also allows faster charge & uploading music into the earbuds.

Thoughts?
Attachments
Magnetic USB type C.jpg
Magnetic USB type C.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 1270 times

Postby yo » November 22nd, 2017, 4:11 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I think that would be nicer. It is good to have an element of universality to some of these things so that if you loose the cable you can use something else to get a charge. Basically defining your own charge paradigm works if you are apple and you control half of any market you enter :-D

Postby ralphzoontjens » November 27th, 2017, 3:19 am

ralphzoontjens
full self-realization
full self-realization

The ones I saw were also a lipstick type - you carry a power pack type device that the earbuds connect to on either side to charge, with an oval profile as the first concept here. That is a nice solution.
http://www.designsoul.nl
Designsoul - Product Design & Visualisation

Previous

Return to projects