Lighting Project: Jellyfish Series

Postby wvangelderen » February 18th, 2013, 11:11 pm

wvangelderen

Hey guys,
I have been working on this lighting project for a little over a year now. It actually started as a Senior Lighting project at Georgia Tech. I decided to restart the project in hopes to produce a more complete version and something I could market in the future. I just don't know where to go now with the project.

The project started out as a 3 week Senior project creating energy efficient lighting. I not only wanted to do an eco lamp, but also something fun, something dynamic. I started looking at the motion of a jellyfish as well as that old kids toy the slitted paper roll on a string. I started working with the idea of a lamp the would compress with slits and would allow various amounts of light out or change the shadows. Now the first version in school was a small desk lamp with a cfl bulb built in. The bases are machine aluminum, the shade is polyethylene, the inner tube has a height locking mechanism. The user can lock a low height with full light output, close it for dimmer light or bounce the shade. This version did not have a dimmer because of the bulb in use.
Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 11.05.06 PM.png
Jellyfish 1

My newest version which I have been working at home on with little shop tools. I took the original idea and scaled up as well as replaced the cfl with an inner tube with leds. The shade is a similar material, but orange this time, a friend turned the base for me. The newer version uses friction for the height, and now includes a functional dimmer at the top.
Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 11.05.26 PM.png
Jellyfish 2

Photos - 751.jpg

more pictures at http://www.coroflot.com/wvangelderen/Jellyfish-Lamp

Re: Lighting Project: Jellyfish Series

Postby mappdaniel » February 19th, 2013, 8:46 am

mappdaniel
step three
step three

Cool idea.

Do you have any development sketches etc. to show the process behind the project?

It would be nice to see if its possible to make the base part thinner and wider(it may just be how I'm looking at it but at the moment I wonder if stability would be an issue)

Return to projects

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list