Re: Raynaud's Disease - hand & foot-warmers

Postby samwl » November 30th, 2012, 7:16 pm

samwl
step one
step one

Evenly heated fabric. might be of help! :)
http://www.diginfo.tv/v/12-0025-r-en.php

Postby Robbie_roy » December 1st, 2012, 3:19 am

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

samwl wrote:Evenly heated fabric. might be of help! :)
http://www.diginfo.tv/v/12-0025-r-en.php

Samwl, awesome, thanks for the find! That kind of thinking might work very well for what my design might be.

Apologies for the lack of updates. I was spending a lot of time on the research but was sort of going in a loop, so I picked a direction to go with for the final critique and post it later for feedback (the project doesn't end after the crit ;)

Postby Robbie_roy » January 25th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

Hi all,

I had an mediocre critique back in December and I am looking to strengthen this project! The two images below are my general thought path and then the final concept (as of December), but the rest of the project as it is is located [here]

The general feedback (our teacher invited some guest ID professionals, which was pretty cool) was that the form and materials of my solution (direction C in the ideation page) were probably not the most comfortable, especially for people who would be wearing this on a very regular basis. They were also worried how it might be powered -- I was initially thinking of a combination of batteries and phase change materials, where the batteries would heat the PCM just enough for it to activate and provide heat, but the response was that it would be too complicated.

I am also wondering if a "ring" concept that fits in the upper palm is direct enough of a heating method -- the idea is that the user would close her hand around the device as it is worn. I looked some other ideas (such as how a product might heat the fingertips directly) but these led to things like the "spidery" looking sketch and model in the upper right of the ideation page (IMO a little too techie-looking and complex), as well as just thinner versions of heated gloves.

Instead of the steel and aluminum route, I would like to play around with heated textiles and perhaps silicone (one of the thermally conductive samples I got a while ago actually works pretty well once heated up) as soft goods are a new thing for me.

I would love to hear any suggestions and ideas ... thanks for the help!

concept_crawl02b.jpg

feedback01b.jpg

Postby samwl » February 15th, 2013, 3:51 pm

samwl
step one
step one

how much energy is required to heat up the material? PCM/textile. I was keen to have a go at the same problem a year ago because I have mild raynaud's and my hands are cold even when the gloves are on. I'd stay away from anything that stays on the palm or fingers, seems to me that they restrict movement quite a bit.

How far are you now?

Postby Robbie_roy » February 15th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

Hi samwl, thanks for the response. I agree that something that stays in the palm / fingers does restrict -- I would love to find a way to have something like a little pad on each finger or fingertip but keeping them durable and attached is one of the issues, as is heating five separate areas.

Unfortunately, the silicone I used needs a very good amount of energy to heat up. At first, I wrapped it around a hot mug and that was insufficient. With a heat gun, it stayed warm for a bit and was very evenly heated, but a heat gun is a little much!

I have taken a little time off this project to clear my head and hopefully find some inspiration ... it wasn't coming when I was hitting my head against the wall. ;)

I took a look at the link to the video of evenly heated fabric that you posted, I am thinking of going a soft-goods approach (and people joked that the metal design above could've been some kind of vibrator :P ).

Postby nxakt » February 16th, 2013, 10:46 pm

nxakt
full self-realization
full self-realization

This is more of a technical overkill solution, working in a fixed indoor space, probably not in the immediate realm, but imaginable. It solves the issue without touching the hands or having any interference whatsoever. It is an invisible solution, aka, least satisfying design solution. :)

Combining a few known systems:

A thermal imaging system.
Video recognition software that recognizes hands specifically and can provide the target data of the sub temperature areas.
A set or series, of low wattage infrared lasers with scanning-positioning mirrors mounted strategically in the local environment, or in an enlightened public workplace.
Processing and software to direct the infrared lasers and apply a measured amount of energy to required areas of users hands, and measure the result in a feedback loop.

Precise, variable, non-contact, invisible infrared heating.

Other adaptations would be for individual users to be identifiable, allowing the ability to personally dial in warmer or cooler operating temperatures. This system would be ideal for a country like Japan, where the post-Fukoshima situation has required offices to dial back heat settings to save energy.

Postby samwl » February 24th, 2013, 2:42 am

samwl
step one
step one

Thing is there are already tons of heated gloves out in the market. the problem is that they are chunky especially with the massive power source. I'd look into printed graphene as a power source, relative new material perhaps hard to find someone to do it. I'm not too sure....

Love the overkill idea though btw.

Postby Robbie_roy » February 28th, 2013, 10:49 pm

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

Thanks samwl, I will look into that! And nxakt I would love to have your solution in both my school and home desks ;)

Previous

Return to projects

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list