Re: Bicycle design to Kickstarter?

Postby iab » November 27th, 2012, 9:53 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

And since you say a pro that used to have his own bikes, I gotta go with GL.

That would be good for you. He's has a lot more cache since the LA thing "officially" hit the fan.

Postby NURB » November 27th, 2012, 12:36 pm

NURB

'course Lemond has his own issues. The whole sidestepping his agreement with Trek, selling bikes out of his garage to his friends for cash is a bit shady. (I have first hand knowledge of that issue...)

I'd second Ritte or even another custom builder (Appleman I suggested earlier does some pretty wild things), even Peacock Groove does some wild stuff with steel, might be able to help you get a functional prototype to "hang" some carbon on.
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @Mike_FTW

Postby 6ix » November 27th, 2012, 6:35 pm

6ix
full self-realization
full self-realization

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ritte, from what I remember, basically just buys an off-the-shelf frameset and wraps it in some snazzy paint and graphics. Appleman, while custom, does tube to tube and I need monocoque. It appears I'm just going to have to invest $5-10K to get one of the frame sizes completed so that I'll have a real-world bike. Might as well since we'll need to dial in the carbon layup eventually.

So, until I can drum up that kind of cash, the project is mostly on hold. I'll still do the modeling and get it ready to roll though. But Kickstarter will have to wait until I've done some more market research and have an exceptional one-off prototype for testing purposes. Whatever the case, it's an exciting project for me to work on!

Previous

Return to projects

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list