Close

Strange question: EVA Compression Molding

Postby Blake_Maurer » December 19th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Blake_Maurer

I have a project that we are looking to make with compression molded EVA for a housing. I have never done any work with EVA molding, and I would like to now what are the typical submittals to get samples made when working with a supplier? Thanks for your help!

-Blake

Re: Strange question: EVA Compression Molding

Postby engelhjs » December 19th, 2017, 6:19 pm

engelhjs
step four
step four

By "submittals" do you mean what kind of files do you hand off? If that's the case it depends how detailed your housing is. Generally tight Illustrator drawings will suffice, but if there are particularly complex surfaces and/or details you may need a 3d model. Something as simple as a headphone case, for example, can be sampled from Illustrator drawings. A complex shoe midsole may need a 3d model. It may also depend on the sampling capabilities of your vendor.
Jeff Engelhardt
Industrial Designer - Footwear & Softgoods
Giro Sport Design
Santa Cruz, CA
http://www.jeff-engelhardt.com

Re: Strange question: EVA Compression Molding

Postby Blake_Maurer » December 19th, 2017, 6:30 pm

Blake_Maurer

engelhjs wrote:By "submittals" do you mean what kind of files do you hand off? If that's the case it depends how detailed your housing is. Generally tight Illustrator drawings will suffice, but if there are particularly complex surfaces and/or details you may need a 3d model. Something as simple as a headphone case, for example, can be sampled from Illustrator drawings. A complex shoe midsole may need a 3d model. It may also depend on the sampling capabilities of your vendor.

That is exactly what I was referencing. Thank you for your help!

Return to materials and processes