Close

Ceramic in CE application

Postby bepster » April 3rd, 2016, 4:18 am

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

Hi guys,

I have been fascinated with ceramic for a long time.
Back in school, I was the shop tech for the ceramic studio for a couple years and have always enjoyed the look and feel of the material.

I am curious what the options and implications are for this material to be used in consumer electronics.
Braun launched a watch in '14.

I ordered it (as it is also a great looking time piece) but I wanted to see if there are any experiences with this material here?
And maybe guesses how this watch is made?
I would guess it's molded in some way and then post CNC'd?

Re: Ceramic in CE application

Postby steppenwolf » September 9th, 2016, 9:40 pm

steppenwolf
step two
step two

Hi bepster,
A little but late response but from my little knowledge on the material, this types of ceramics are called technical ceramics. They work a lot with alumina and zirconia to compose them and the main methods are injection molding and vapor deposition.
Alongside hard-core technical/engineering applications, now are pretty commonly used in the watch/jewellery area (watched, pens, bag decorations etc). Rado if I am not wrong was one of the first since the 80's or something to use this type of materil. But sicne Chanel introduced its J12 model it really picked-up.
I have visited a Dutch company long time ago ( http://www.formatec.nl/en/ ) and from our discussion automotive industry was also thinking to use it in car interiors (but i have seen nothing yet, perhaps due to safety reasons) as well as thy told be apple wanted to use it for its iphones (back side) but i am pretty sure the brittle nature of ceramics and its weight may had prevented them to do so.

Perhaps someone else has deeper knowledge on this material.

Return to materials and processes