Fabric over metal shapes

I build large aluminum world globes, look at
http://giantglobes.com
and I’m trying to work out how to apply fabric (probably cotton) over just the continents in a permanent and durable manner (perhaps sealed with an epoxy?)
I first saw this done on a cast aluminum trowel that had a William Morris print wrapped around it… quite beautiful, see link V&A home & garden tools-pruners, trowels and forks, secateurs

Any tips or ideas?

Thanks

Matt Binns
Giant Globes Inc
Giantglobes.com

I am not 100% certain, but the gardening tools with the William Morris prints are more than likely done by dip coating. This is a very common process in the firearms/hunting industry and is durable.

Just google “camo dip coating”.

I’m sure there are others here with more technical knowledge of the process, but maybe this is a start?

Hmmm, I think you are right about the garden tools being done with dip coating. I’m not sure how easy it would be to dip a 60" globe, while trying to just dip the continents…they have to be welded on so I can’t dip them separately.
Thanks for the input
Matt

Hmmm, I think you are right about the garden tools being done with dip coating. I’m not sure how easy it would be to dip a 60" globe, while trying to just dip the continents…they have to be welded on so I can’t dip them separately.
Thanks for the input
Matt

Why fabric? What is your ultimate goal?

Is this for interior or exterior use?

You could try dye sublimated fabric (if it needs to be graphic) and adhere and coat it with an epoxy or clear resin maybe.

Easiest way I know for applying fabric to something like your globes will be to spray adhesive such as Super77, then pull your fabric on. If you don’t use a material with inherent stretch [some percentage of Lycra, for example] you may want a knit, or other weave with give. Of course, your continents are relatively flat, so you may be ok with anything you like.

Once the glue has dried, you can trim the edges with a carpet knife, and seal them with white glue, silicon caulk, or whatever suits your fancy.

I might also consider applying vinyl like they use on cars. It comes with adhesive, and stretches nicely with just a little heat via hairdrier. Then once you trim the edges your build is complete.

Could you rivet the continents on after dip coating instead? Or perhaps weld on studs and then bolt on the continents?

Marine grade contact cement.

I build large aluminum world globes …

Well, that’s certainly an understatement.

Welcome to the boards Matt.

Marine grade contact adhesive sounds good. A thermal adhesive film [u]3M-ThermoBond[/u] might be another option. [u]Photographic “dry mount” adhesive[/u] sheet stock (applied with a hot iron) would work as long as it isn’t an exterior application.

But controlling the perimeter of the piece, so that it does not unravel, might be more of an issue.

BTW: Did I see your work in the Wall Street Journal recently?