Neoprene Adhesive

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know a good adhesive for attaching a neoprene sheet to aluminum?
(Good heat resistance/ water resistace required)

Thanks!
b

Brian,

3M makes killer adhesives.

Try 3M77, or 3M90. They are both very agressive, waterproof, and heat resistant (at least as heat resistant as neoprene is). They are “contact” type aerosol products.

Spray adhesive on both sides of the joint and allow it to tack off (30 seconds to a minute or so, depending upon ambient temperature). I use a “slip sheet” between the tacked-off adhesive surfaces to insure correct placement. If you don’t, you will end up destroying the neoprene if you try to pull the joint apart … AND … you’ll spend the next fifteen minutes scraping the neoprene residue off of the aluminum.

Find these adhesives at most hardware stores (ACE where I live).

Lew

Thanks so much . I did contact 3M as well and they suggested transfer tape #950 because the aluminum will be powdercoated. Have you tried this stuff before?
b

Brian,

I’ve been out of town for a few days.

I’ve used 3M tapes on powder coated aluminum, steel, and ABS, and Kydex (PVC), and fabrics. I didn’t experience any adverse affect on powder-coated substrates from the carrier-solvent in the spray-on products.

The spray-on adhesive is certainly easier to apply … there is some overspray, but it you set up for it (a mask) it’s no big deal. Use 3m’s “Adhesive Remover” or mineral spirits to cleanup wet overspray.

Lew

Brian,

I’ve been out of town for a few days.

I’ve used 3M tapes on powder coated aluminum, steel, ABS, Kydex (PVC), and fabrics.

We didn’t experience any adverse affect on powder-coated substrates from the carrier-solvent in the spray-on products.

The spray-on adhesive is certainly easier to apply … there is some overspray, but it you set up for it (a mask) it’s no big deal. Use 3m’s “Adhesive Remover” or mineral spirits to cleanup wet overspray.

Lew

Thanks so much!
b