Close

SophieHortonJones
step two
step two

I've recently relocated to the Seattle area from the UK, and whilst waiting for the go-ahead from the legal people I've been tweaking my website, Linkedin, Instagram in preparation for the upcoming job hunt.

I feel like I've tweaked all I can tweak, and if I keep going I'm worried I'll start all over again! So before I get any closer to the risk of doing that... what do you think?!

www.sophhorton.co.uk

I'm conscious that my copywriting skills probably aren't the best, so any comments there are very welcome too. (also any non-US friendly terminology or language!)

I've used Wix to build the site as I'm not much of a web designer, and found it easier to concentrate on the content when using a pre-built template. I can look at paying to remove the 'this site was designed using Wix' banners if it's worth it?
Last edited by SophieHortonJones on January 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amunta

looks pretty good. my critique is more geared towards the ui.

get rid of the "enter site" splash page. like, immediately. the average person looks at a new website for just a few seconds, and you're wasting it away on an empty screen.

i'm not a big fan of the slideshows, i'd rather have the images in a line with a little text providing context. that way the viewers can scroll through the images at their own pace. sometimes the slideshow would jump to the next picture before it was even loaded, you might want to make the resolution of the images a little smaller.

i'm not too familiar with wix's pricing, but if you are going to use site to continually find work it will be worth it to pay for it. just a higher level of professionalism

SophieHortonJones
step two
step two

Thanks Amunta. I totally agree with the 'enter site' page... until I pay Wix some money it's either that or a long weblink that includes Wix... I'm thinking maybe I pay Wix some money!!

I've slowed the slideshows down for now, to give a bit more time to actually see them, I'll take a look at what else I can do there, maybe thumbnails or something might work better?

yo
Administration
Administration

Sophie, looking pretty solid to me!

KenoLeon
step four
step four

Love your work, I totally have designer envy.

- I also think that the wix thing is a bit of a distraction.
- The galleries are hard to navigate, the carousel on the sketchbook with the auto timer slide and the unresponsive arrows are not very user friendly, I could go on, but your work comes through.

Before paying wix, check out squarespace it is a cleaner format and for your web design comfort level might be better suited, truth is for the output, purpose , technicality and maintenance costs in time and effort, you might be perfectly fine as you are, just be aware that from a web design/UX/UI point of view it might seem sub par and be an issue if you want to branch out.

Best,
Keno
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"We are surrounded with objects of desire, not objects of use.” Don Norman

SophieHortonJones
step two
step two

KenoLeon wrote:Love your work, I totally have designer envy.

- I also think that the wix thing is a bit of a distraction.
- The galleries are hard to navigate, the carousel on the sketchbook with the auto timer slide and the unresponsive arrows are not very user friendly, I could go on, but your work comes through.

Before paying wix, check out squarespace it is a cleaner format and for your web design comfort level might be better suited, truth is for the output, purpose , technicality and maintenance costs in time and effort, you might be perfectly fine as you are, just be aware that from a web design/UX/UI point of view it might seem sub par and be an issue if you want to branch out.

Best,
Keno

:) Thanks Keno.

Completely agree with the Wix bit... I'll have a think and check out Squarespace, thanks! As I'm not really a web designer, I thought it would be best to use something that took that part away and let me showcase my work, but I think I should have spent a bit more time exploring sites that offer better UX.

I've had a play with the galleries, so they now have thumbnails to click on, or arrows. It makes them a bit smaller in mobile view, but I think gets around the unresponsive problems you were having.

As you say, the purpose is to get the work across, so if that's working then that's great! I'll keep playing!

Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful!
Last edited by SophieHortonJones on February 14th, 2017, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SophieHortonJones
step two
step two

So I made a little... OK, quite a big... change to my website! Following suggestions from this thread to look at Squarespace, and some great feedback from members of the design community here in Seattle I completely re-designed it!

I think it feels much more in line with my portfolio, which is more about process than images of final products.

I'd love to hear what you think. http://www.sophhorton.co.uk

It feels so good to get rid of the Wix 'I used a template and haven't paid for this' banners!

JenJaw
step one
step one

This looks great now! The first iteration did look a bit templated and I think this does a much better job of showcasing your work and process. Also the UX is much friendlier and more inviting, moving to Squarespace was a good call.

Good Job!

KenoLeon
step four
step four

Looks great Sophie, I think it is a great improvement, couple of very minor things :

- Top text menu, when there is a non contrasting image underneath it, like on the splash page it is hard to discern what it reads.
- The multiple duplicate menus are a little confusing upon landing, ( after clicking around the sections make sense).
- Might want to add a pdf on the about ( love that page with the books and domos).

\|°▿▿▿▿°|/

Also, have you thought about cutting the middle man and going directly to something like Kickstarter and doing your own games, seems like a natural transition ?
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

SophieHortonJones
step two
step two

JenJaw wrote:This looks great now! The first iteration did look a bit templated and I think this does a much better job of showcasing your work and process. Also the UX is much friendlier and more inviting, moving to Squarespace was a good call.

Good Job!

Thanks! :)
KenoLeon wrote:Looks great Sophie, I think it is a great improvement, couple of very minor things :

- Top text menu, when there is a non contrasting image underneath it, like on the splash page it is hard to discern what it reads.
- The multiple duplicate menus are a little confusing upon landing, ( after clicking around the sections make sense).
- Might want to add a pdf on the about ( love that page with the books and domos).

\|°▿▿▿▿°|/

Also, have you thought about cutting the middle man and going directly to something like Kickstarter and doing your own games, seems like a natural transition ?

Thanks for the feedback Keno:

- I've changed the top text menu so that it doesn't duplicate what's on the main page, and called it work, so you end up back on this page if you move out to the sketchbook, blog etc. I think this makes it a bit cleaner? Think I might have a play with the colour / background of that top menu to make sure it doesn't get lost. It looks alright on my screen on the home page with the lighter background, so I'll test it out on some other platforms too and see if I can make it a bit clearer.

- Do you mean a .pdf of the info on that page as a takeaway? Or a CV? Or some more info?

KenoLeon
step four
step four

KenoLeon wrote:- Do you mean a .pdf of the info on that page as a takeaway? Or a CV? Or some more info?

I think it should be an introductory page + your CV ( max something like 2 pages),or a mini portfolio, it is redundant but can serve as something a prospective employer or client can download, pass around ( I don't have one myself, just a cv, but it's on my to-do for next site redesign).
Eugenio (Keno) Leon

SophieHortonJones
step two
step two

KenoLeon wrote:
KenoLeon wrote:- Do you mean a .pdf of the info on that page as a takeaway? Or a CV? Or some more info?

I think it should be an introductory page + your CV ( max something like 2 pages),or a mini portfolio, it is redundant but can serve as something a prospective employer or client can download, pass around ( I don't have one myself, just a cv, but it's on my to-do for next site redesign).

Cool, I'll have a think... I wonder if I can do something interesting with it...?! :)

Return to portfolios