Explore the Shoapbox

I’m a little torn with myself.

At first I immediately thought “o gawd” what is this. But after going through your work, I think it simply came down to, I myself, just isn’t the right audience. And it got me thinking… your style, personality, the way you present your work, everything is actually really consistent. It doesn’t follow any of the common minimal styles I normally see with ID portfolios, but just because its different, is it wrong? I don’t think so. To wrap it up, I think if you applied to toy companies or kid show networks, I think your style would be on the money. Core77 is not the right audience for your type of work, again not because you are doing wrong or its not high quality. I just think you need to show your work to the right people to get the right feedback.

In fact, after I got over the fact that the presentation wasn’t my style, the content was actually really good. For example, your Little Interns project. I thought you communicated an excellent story that was easy to follow along, showed your thought process, your failures, and how you ulitmately got to your final design. There are tons of designers on this forum that have more traditional portfolios that are incapable of telling their own design story as well as you just did with the Little Interns.

Scubaware UX is a little weird. The slideshows would normally be okay but in the USA we read left to right and your Scubaware slides seem to be going the opposite way when you click on the right arrow. I would suggest you either reorder the slides or better yet, get rid of the slideshow all together and make it more like your other products where you have one long vertical list. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the comic book style, but just make it so you can see all the pages listed vertically for easy viewing and navigation.