Close

UPDATE: Tear My Portfolio Apart, Please!

Postby Dtmoss » April 4th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Dtmoss

Yo!

I am a graduating senior @ the Cleveland Institute of Art. I posted here a few weeks ago looking for a gut-wrenching portfolio review. The original portfolio:

https://issuu.com/hamptonmss/docs/cmoss_portfolio

I got a lot of great feedback from you all and have worked hard to shorten my portfolio + work on my storytelling. I also took a version of this to the Central District IDSA Conference and had it reviewed here. I made some changes based off of the feedback I received there. I would like to share with all my progress from above to attached PDF and get one last final review before I start sending this off + printing a few books. Also, some of my images are appearing higher contrast on my tablet/phone compared to my computer. Let me know if images look especially dark or crazy colored; I am still trying to figure out how to fix that.

UPDATED Portfolio: http://docdro.id/C3JHOPL

I went from 76 pages showcasing 3 ID projects + 3 personal/intern projects to 59 pages showcasing 4 ID projects + 4 personal projects.

Thank you all for your feedback. Remember, be brutal!

Re: UPDATE: Tear My Portfolio Apart, Please!

Postby yo » April 5th, 2016, 12:45 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Very very good. You made a huge leap here.

I have a few small points.

1) I recommend on a few of you pages zooming in a bit more to have the design fill the page. For example pg 55, really let the product dominate the page. Push in more.

2) on the personal projects on page 54 and 55, if you could add a third it would just feel more well rounded. the rule of threes.

3) pg 58, I recommend adding some text that says something like "While interning at Room & Board I worked on xx number of projects, xx became production products.

4) end with a visually impactful image. 58 is not strong enough for a last image

5) then add a slide that says thank you and has your contact information.

6) the page numbers jump round a little. One of the things I always do is click super fast to see if things like page numbers and title blocks move.... this kind of attention to detail is important and missing it can be a sign to an employer of craftsmanship. Digital craftsmanship is as important as physical craftsmanship.

Side note I'll be at CIA on the 18th to give a lecture and demo. Pop over and say hi. Dan Cuffaro is arranging it.

Postby iab » April 5th, 2016, 3:27 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Just my .02, but if you have sketches of the hardware for your kd furniture, I'd be interested in seeing them. The form is nice but if you are selling me kd, I want to see how it works.

Nice work on the Stryker project.

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

I couldn't find any typos, and I can sniff them a mile away. Don't know why, I just can. I had to look up 'comfortability' to see if it was really a word.

Only thing that stood out was the branding on one of the Stryker products. The logos, especially the one on the bottom of the handle, doesn't fit in the area well. Either move the logo or make it smaller or do something else...there's not enough breathing room around the logo. The upper logo looks stretched in a weird way.

Nice work.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

ralphzoontjens
step four
step four

Nice portfolio Caitlyn.

I have a few remarks.

- Your title page is important as it's a cue to be remembered by. Your first design was graphically stronger and I liked how you tagged yourself with your professional areas.
- Your designer profile can be more specific and graspable. We want to get to know you. "underrepresented, overlooked markets" - terms you could also use are niche markets or extreme users.
- I like how you took a more active step of infusing yourself with your research. Before you did a lot of research which is great, but I am missing the exact reasons from a designer POV as to why you did it this way and how it centered around a vision for the project.
- I wonder about your materials research. Silicon is not all that suited, nor is it often desired by consumers, in the kitchen.
- What I am missing and what will add to your research- i.e. intellect-orientedness is a proof-of-concept with a user test at the end of your projects.

Postby iab » April 6th, 2016, 8:13 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

ralphzoontjens wrote:Silicon is not all that suited, nor is it often desired by consumers, in the kitchen.

My apologies for going completely OT.

But that is an odd thing to say. At least in the US market, there are thousands of silicone kitchen gadgets. The thermoset qualities make it well suited for high temperature applications. It is easy to clean. Takes color very well. Durable. Varying wall thickness is not an issue like thermoplastics.

What am I missing?

Postby bepster » April 6th, 2016, 12:35 pm

bepster
full self-realization
full self-realization

iab wrote:
ralphzoontjens wrote:Silicon is not all that suited, nor is it often desired by consumers, in the kitchen.

My apologies for going completely OT.

But that is an odd thing to say. At least in the US market, there are thousands of silicone kitchen gadgets. The thermoset qualities make it well suited for high temperature applications. It is easy to clean. Takes color very well. Durable. Varying wall thickness is not an issue like thermoplastics.

What am I missing?

Well I guess it's just really expensive.

Postby yo » April 6th, 2016, 3:12 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I don't know if there is a difference in Europe but it is super common in the US. All of our Polk BOOM speakers have Silicone outer housings, and in kitchenwares it is super common. You can find inexpensive spatulas at target will have silicon handles. There was even a great oven mitt injected as a single piece of silicon.

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

I have a feeling this whole OT discussion is due to 'silicon' and 'silicone' being used interchangeably. Which they shouldn't be, of course.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

Postby yo » April 6th, 2016, 6:40 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Sillycone.

Postby Mr-914 » April 7th, 2016, 6:55 am

Mr-914

I reviewed it like I reviewed when hiring.

- I want to see some ideation sketching. I'd like to see a page of sketches for a knob or a hinge or something that you had to work out on paper how to do.

- Your presentation sketching is really great. Your style seems to suit toys. It has a nice cartoon-y feel, but defining the shape well.

- If you want a research oriented job, you should dismiss what I'm going to say, but you have a little too much research compared to work. I'd like to see the research condensed to 1 page, unless you did something herculean (giant ergonomic study, sat in an ER for a month). As a design manager, I know what design research is, I just need to see enough to know that you know what it is.

- I think I'd start with the toy project. I almost stopped at the first project and that's not a good sign. Maybe it's just me though.

- Graphic design is really good. It's clear and subtle enough to let the work stand out.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby iab » April 7th, 2016, 7:56 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

slippyfish wrote:I have a feeling this whole OT discussion is due to 'silicon' and 'silicone' being used interchangeably. Which they shouldn't be, of course.

Thank you for bringing it back on topic. Page 13, there is a typo, silicon should read silicone.

Postby Dtmoss » April 7th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Dtmoss

Mr-914 wrote:- I think I'd start with the toy project. I almost stopped at the first project and that's not a good sign. Maybe it's just me though.

Hi, thank you for commenting. I was suggested in my original review to chose a project which represents the field Id like to work in. Although I did a toy internship and toy project, I do not want to work in toys. I included those projects because A) my best concept sketching and B) on-market products.

Do you think this first project isnt strong enough to start off with?

Postby yo » April 7th, 2016, 10:09 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I think the first project is strong. There is a good core idea. You so research as well as good concept sketching. I would potentially led with a different image. It is just a little bit of a difficult image as you lead project first image. I think it is totally appropriate in the research documentation. You might consider making the first image a cropped detail shot of the product. I think the last image in the project could be stronger, more dynamic, as well.

Postby Mr-914 » April 8th, 2016, 6:45 am

Mr-914

Looking at it again today, I think my problem is that it seems like a concept and not a finished project. A cropped detail shot, as Yo suggests, could make it feel complete. Also, add in some manufacturing details. What material is this? How is it made? How is it transported? How is it installed?
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Go to the Next Page

Return to portfolios