Portfolio Review

Hi, I’m an industrial designer graduated a year ago, currently I’m working in a lighting company.

I built an online portfolio and recently I plan to improve it a little bit, so it would be great if I could get some feedback from you guys!

The link is: http://www.ruichen.us

Thank you very much!

-Rui

[ Deleted ]

Hi Keno,

Thanks so much for your feedback. Actually I totally agree with you… I feel I didn’t document the project well, and just put a few texts and pictures to show some key frames of the projects, which seems not enough to introduce my designs… I’ll try to improve the written a little bit. Also I’ll add some early stage and final design sketches with some notes on them, do you think it would be helpful?

Thanks again!

-Rui

[ Deleted ]

Hi Keno,

I see. I would say, yes this portfolio is built to present my works rather than document them. My intended audience would be HRs, designers, managers, etc. I think. I do have problems to introduce my projects in a way that makes it stand out… I’ll try to make the background and problem statement simpler and clearer, present my design process, and try to show the uniqueness of the designs? I mean, the goal is to let someone with (or without) design background understand what I did?

Sorry maybe I’m still a little confused…

Thanks…

-Rui

[ Deleted ]

Keno,

Great! I’ll make some modification and try to fix these problems.

Thanks a lot, I’ll be back soon!

-Rui

Rui,

Overall clean portfolio presentation, which is nice. No fuss, just gets right to the work. I feel that process is missing in a lot of the projects. It just seems to get right to the end result. I’d like to see more of your thinking and how you got to that result.

Also, on the about you part, it is just a resume, which is good, but think about adding a paragraph about who you are, why you are passionate about design, what your goals in your career are, that sort of thing.

Remember, there is a lot of competition out there and you want to show off who you are, what is unique about you.