Please review my portfolio and my strategic plan

Hello everybody!

I haven’t write so much here but I consider this forum a great source of wisdom and I would really appreciate if you could share some with me on this :wink:

I’ve just finished my spanish degree in Industrial Design in September and, since then, I’ve been working hard to upgrade my portfolio with some personal projects; that’s why I would love if you guys could have a look at it and give me some feedback :slight_smile:

http://issuu.com/damiancalvotome/docs/portfolio_damian_calvo

I’ve conceived this portfolio as a little sample of my work, with the less info as possible to create some impact and interest. All the projects have a little description but some of them (the best ones) have a link/QR code to Behance where they are better explained with it’s own layout and visual style.
At this moment I don’t really know if the traditional portfolio is a good way of showing my work or I should go for the Behance portfolio; that’s why I’ve decided to mix both of them…What you guys think?

Also another important question: Should I print my portfolio and send it by mail? I don’t mind wasting some money on it and I have the feeling that it would cause a better impression than sending it via e-mail, which is colder and impersonal in my opinion. Plus I think there’ll be more chances that they will look at it if it’s printed… I don’t know :S.

Thank you very much in advance!

Where is the process? Nice renders are just that - nice. But none of the pages gave me any insights on how you think and how you solve problems. Just my 2 c

It’s a good point the one you’re bringing out here madhero, thanks!

It’s something that has been on my mind while doing the layout for my portfolio: Does a good portfolio necesarily have to be full of sketches and drawings and graphics to show your skill? Is not enough to se the final product the way you will see it in the design blog/catalogue?

Short answer if you are trying to get a job where you are doing a process then NO. you need to show all your work, or samples of all your skill sets.

If you show me a pretty picture and i don’t need a render monkey then i would hire you. I need to understand what the goals and objectives where and how you developed your design into that. I honestly could care less if your renderings are amazing or if your sketching is shitty I can train you in that within 3 months.

It all depends on what type of job your are looking to get. Also you need to consider your experience level and the type of product your showcasing too.

Eric Fields:

For example is a senior designer at a well known consultancy. He can get away with money shots and renders for his online portfolio, Why? Because his breth of work shows you that he understands the process and had brought multiple products into the actual real world. Yet all his renders still showcase key features. Also I’m guessing he still has process books showing the backend process too.

Theres a difference between an online portfolio showcasing your work, and something you use to get hired.

Hey P3NRoS3,

The quality of rendering work is very professional and the presentation shows attention to detail, but I don’t think this is a smart strategy at all, unless you plan on only doing rendering work.

I think you’ve already answered your own question :slight_smile:

The layout with a 2 page spread (render and a huge block of text) feels more like how Marc Newson or Ross Lovegrove might present a decades worth of commercialized work not how a recent graduate would present academic and speculative products.

Thank you all very much for you comments! I have a few questions though:

-I¡'m understanding that the strategy of linking the Behance project to the portfolio and hope for the reader to go there is not good, right? Do you think is better to explain the whole product in the portfolio and let Behance aside?

-Should I forget the classic portfolio and use only Behance to show my work?

-Do you think is just a matter of adding sketches? What if you just arrived to that solution from the very beggining and there is no sketches except the shitty ones you do just for yourself?

Finally what do you guys think about printing the portfolio and send it by mail?

“Theres a difference between an online portfolio showcasing your work, and something you use to get hired.” +1

Firstly, graphically, it is well done.

Secondly, a portfolio to get you hires should show HOW you think, and what CAN do…what you HAVE done is not why someone would hire you. They want to see you skills and thinking in tackling past projects so they know you can do the same on different new projects.

As has been said 100x times, process is key. Sketches, models, a wide range of concepts, what led you to narrow down to the final solution, etc.

Personally, I’m a big fan of print portfolios if you can send them directly to who you want to review or can present in person. For all else, a link to an online portfolio is good, as is a PDF (if not too large).

Finally, keep in mind it is visual people reviewing your portfolio. Nobody is likely going to read that much text if they aren’t already interested in the pictures. Someone (like I just did) will likely flip through your portfolio in less than 30 seconds and make a yes/no/maybe decision. Keep that in mind.

R

I agree alot with @rkuchinsky.

i think the quality of the images look good and the layout is fine. However, i skimmed through your entire portfolio in less than 15 seconds. Why? Because, it didn’t show me any process or thinking of any sort. Your portfolio felt more like a product catalog than a hire me portfolio. Also, all the text you have per project is requiring me to read to understand the project… but as a reader, i have no idea if it will be worth my time… however if you showed some visual thinking and process of how your project started and how it was refined and rethought to become the end result, i would be more inclined to read the text because i am now interested and want to learn more.

That’s exactly it. How would a company know if you are able to develop an idea into a concept or finished product? This is very important when you are a recent graduate or a junior, because you haven’t seen so many products, if any, come to life. Once you’ve been a few years in the business, you can skip it (probably you’d have to anyway, since most of what you do is confidential). I’d add idea presentations, sketching, physical mock ups, 3D construction, etc. You don’t need to explain everything for each project, but explain the overall process you follow through the different products.

As for the printed portfolios, many companies ask for a PDF or PPT or a link to an online portfolio so they don’t end up having a pile of presentations at the office. Some might be worth saving but most of them will end up on the trash bin. You could have a printed copy to carry with you for face to face interviews, with a deeper take on the projects. Having a prototype or finished product would also be cool, it could help you shape the interview your way.

Finally, good to see somebody from Spain here, we aren’t so many in the forums. :wink:

Thank you all for your responses and advice! I’m glad to upload the portfolio here before sendind it so I can now improve it and get the most out of it :wink:

Of course, glad we can help.

If you got the time, upload the next finished version before you send it out. So we can take one final look and make some last minute updates if needed. Good Luck!