Foundation student portfolio review needed

Hey Beijinger19

I think it’s a really solid start. I thought the first lamp/phone dock/bookshelf is pretty cool project and well rounded off in terms of research, process and final prototype. The slip cast lamp isn’t really doing anything for me, especially since it is immediately following the other lamp. If I was going to keep it I might add another project to put in between the two and beef up the slip cast one by showing a more resolved final design, right now it feels a little dull and unresolved.

The desk project has nice process and thinking but I think you’d really need to build it, if not full scale, 1/4 scale, or do some really great renderings of it in an environment that really show it in it’s glory, right now the projects seems to end without a bang and final renders feel lifeless.

What type of internship are you targeting? If you are thinking consultancies it would be great to show more breadth of product type as others have mentioned. I know it’s hard starting out since you will have limited larger projects but at this stage I think it’s more that ok to even include a couple extra pages at the end that are just examples of your skillset, could be sketches of random products, explorations in CAD, more refined sketch renders etc. I found during a lot of my internship interviews that those couple pages at the end got as much attention or talk as the larger projects, because they show you’re not a one trick pony and that you’re still versatile and willing to tackle a new area.

You’re interviewing as an intern so often times you are going to be hired on your thinking ability and your ability to visualize those ideas to clients/marketing so make sure your portfolio is doing your skillset justice.

Good luck on the search