So many projects, so little filespace...

I’ve worked on a wide range of projects since I’ve left school. That being the case I’ve dropped all my school projects from my coroflot portfolio. In school I was forced to complete projects encompassing the entire design process. However, in the workplace I found that I am usually playing different roles in different stages of different projects. Sometimes I would initiate the ideation and the lead designer would gather those sketches and derive a rendering from them, and sometimes it was the reverse. I found that this makes it difficult to show the entire design process in a lot of my projects as I was used to fill different roles. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice or crits would be appreciated, thanks!

www.coroflot.com/edetskas

Same here. I normally keep seperate projects specifically for the portfolio, projects designed to show different phases of development. I’ll do those during freelance downtime. Seems like too much hassle trying to hunt down the bits and pieces from different companies, especially if I was just a part player.
I’ll only put in projects that I was involved in over 90% and can easily claim it. I wouldn’t want to show up to an interview with a project that the last person they saw also had in their book. That would seem weird to me…completely understandable but still a little weird. For the interview, I want whatever they see to be all me, so theres no issues and no chance of anybody thinking I’m trying to pull off something I didn’t really do.

Also, since most of the work I’ve done is under nondisclosure for at least 2 years, by the time I could show any of it in the portfolio, it’s already dated and my skills are better. So I do the mock projects to show the current skill level. I’m sure others do things differently. Good luck.

If I put Industrial Design for my first priority I would put some ID samples. Almost everything is environmental or display design and it doesn’t make sense to me you show those samples.

I agree with guest. Your sketches are great though, and it looks like these projects are really well done. Perhaps you should try to combine these projects down to one or two slides to showcase your work on displays/environments. Then, either do some products on the side, or revamp a school project and put in a few slides of product design. Similar to Skinny, I’ve worked on four major designs outside of my three freelance contracts because while my skills have improved 100%, I can’t show nearly enough because of contracts.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips everyone, I am leaning towards display and environment design now after my experience with it. Much of the work I’ve done since school has been related more to designing experiences than products, it’s exciting stuff. My hard copy portfolio still has much of my school work in it, but of course, like was mentioned, it’s pretty dated at this point.

I think I will drop one of my slides and put in a product one.

Slides? People still use those?

By slides we’re refering to the image spaces on the coroflot portfolios. They only give you 500kb, wish it was a meg, but you can lower the resolution or filesize to make it fit.

I get it now, sorry, haven’t been getting enough fresh air.

So aside from showing some different kinds of work, does anyone have any comments to make about the work itself, any feedback would be great. Thanks!

On your Graphics & Illustrations page, your Performance Drive Track has the identical style of the DC Metro (subway) map.

Interesting you pointed that out, alot of those graphics went into different even proposals. Based on what type of theme the client wanted, we tailored the entire look and feel of the proposal so that their client go get a feel for how the event would feel. That particular graphic was inspired by subway maps, we were going for a travel across the US type of theme, so many of the graphics represented theme park maps, city maps, road maps, including sight seeing photos doctored in photoshop to fit the theme. It was fun stuff, no 2 proposals were ever the same. The art deco style graphics were for a nostalgic 40’s-50’s Hollywood theme centered around a redesign of a class vehicle.