Portfolio

The projects are small and were only for my Rhino 3D class. I know they are missing some key skills, like tech research, materials research, call-outs etc.,etc, but just want some opinions. Be harsh. http://www.coroflot.com/michaelszajna Its seperate from my portfolio I send for internships. All of the projects are different. I am also working on a real website and any suggestions would make me happy.

some of those watch sketches are the hotness. nice aesthetics on the speaker design too.

Must see something I am not!

you dont think they are the “hotness”. what do you really think?

The forms are poorly developed, the sketch quality is poor, and the cad model looks as if you were just learning the software and could not model it as you intended. AKA severely boxy, poor surface translation/continuity etc.

The idea is decent however far from novel, been around since; well since people began to travel between countries. My grandfather has a dual faced watch his father brought home from WWI, and it still looks sleeker and more refined than that.

The speakers are nice, sketches and renderings still weak, no amount of flashy backgrounds and unimportant line work can mask poor sketching ability.

The Cell phone, what can I say. Seriously would any one want to be seen dead using a phone with that boxy and just plain unattractive form. So it glows; big flippin’ deal.

You say in your overview that design encompasses…bla…bla…bla user experience. Well form and style are also part of that experience, it is not only about a gimmicky feature.

Hard to believe you and I both came from CCS, guess it has gone down hill in the pat 5 years.

The forms are poorly developed, the sketch quality is poor, and the cad model looks as if you were just learning the software and could not model it as you intended. AKA severely boxy, poor surface translation/continuity etc.

The idea is decent however far from novel, been around since; well since people began to travel between countries. My grandfather has a dual faced watch his father brought home from WWI, and it still looks sleeker and more refined than that.

The speakers are nice, sketches and renderings still weak, no amount of flashy backgrounds and unimportant line work can mask poor sketching ability.

The Cell phone, what can I say. Seriously would any one want to be seen dead using a phone with that boxy and just plain unattractive form. So it glows; big flippin’ deal.

You say in your overview that design encompasses…bla…bla…bla user experience. Well form and style are also part of that experience, it is not only about a gimmicky feature.

Hard to believe you and I both came from CCS, guess it has gone down hill in the pat 5 years.

too much research is shown, in my opinion. The research is an important part of a design process, but maybe show your research work only for one project? I wouldn’t show it in a corefolio at all, but that’s me.

It doesn’t take any special skill to google up “watch”…put in more sketches, instead. Your sketches are not too horrible, but call them “hotness”? People do get sarcastic here.

alright, maybe i jumped the gun on the hotness comment. it wasn’t made sarcastically, but i might have liked the designs more than the sketches themselves. still, i don’t think they’re that bad.

i agree with melovescookies about including too many research images.

boo hoo i suck. grow some balls and put your sophmore portfolio up.

Here is my awnser to your comments:

they are my first two assignments in Rhino, so I was just learning the software. There all sophmore projects. In the phone assignment i wanted to learn how to make something glow, and guess what I did. Its “unattractive” to you, alot of people tell me how much they like my style and form.

True my sketches might seem poor to you. I can sketch probably as good as you, but i went away from the “CCS” style of sketching, and alot of real proffesssionals like it. My professors including Clyde, love it. But they said to be prepaired to take critisism from people who are stuck into the old way of doing things.

For the watch I went away from some of my sketches because i wanted a watch that “bounced” around on the wrist. Because that is how I like to wear my watches, very loose. Look at the last sketch next to the rendering. Why must EVERYTHING be considered sleek? Put your WWI watch next to my watch and see how many 15-30 year old people buy the WWI “sleek” hunk of metal. Yes this is my very first rhino model and desperatly needs to be redone, but I am still very proud of it.

The “speaker” which is a Lamp (try and read if you can), has no flashy backgrounds. We no longer have the quads, but people will come from other classes to see my sketches/renderings because they are different. I am not the only one doing things different. If a company wanted me to sketch in a certain way I could, but until then I’ll keep my own style.

Thank you for your opinion. Your hatred only fuels us on.

yes way too many crappy research images.

holy shit you are an elitist cunt

as an ACCD grad who has over the past few years heard the comment :“you don’t sketch like an ACCD grad…” I respond: is that a bad thing?

personally I think the sketching is great compared to either the manga influenced two armed renderers or the box-ology inclined syd mead futurists, simply becasue of the difference from the two. you have an excpressive style that communicates effectively, use it.

I do agree that the form development is a little “pedestrian” but hey if you 're sophmore, it’ll develop.

boo hoo i suck. grow some balls and put your sophmore portfolio up.

Here is my awnser to your comments:

they are my first two assignments in Rhino, so I was just learning the software. There all sophmore projects. In the phone assignment i wanted to learn how to make something glow, and guess what I did. Its “unattractive” to you, alot of people tell me how much they like my style and form.

True my sketches might seem poor to you. I can sketch probably as good as you, but i went away from the “CCS” style of sketching, and alot of real proffesssionals like it. My professors including Clyde, love it. But they said to be prepaired to take critisism from people who are stuck into the old way of doing things.

For the watch I went away from some of my sketches because i wanted a watch that “bounced” around on the wrist. Because that is how I like to wear my watches, very loose. Look at the last sketch next to the rendering. Why must EVERYTHING be considered sleek? Put your WWI watch next to my watch and see how many 15-30 year old people buy the WWI “sleek” hunk of metal. Yes this is my very first rhino model and desperatly needs to be redone, but I am still very proud of it.

The “speaker” which is a Lamp (try and read if you can), has no flashy backgrounds. We no longer have the quads, but people will come from other classes to see my sketches/renderings because they are different. I am not the only one doing things different. If a company wanted me to sketch in a certain way I could, but until then I’ll keep my own style.

Thank you for your opinion. Your hatred only fuels us on.[/quote]

Why dont you take everything that you listed here, and communicate it in your sketching, and presentation. i.e loose watch fit.
Lashing back at a critique makes you look dumb, take the things said for what they are woth to you, and throw the rest out, let it fuel you to do better.

Just some thoughts…

JA

I agree with that.
Your work definitely did not catch my eye as much as the research images. However, it is not because you had out-standing graphics, it’s is because your research board take over 70% of space. Anyone can put together images like that. When it comes to the research board tho, It is not just about images you inspires from. What about who you are marketing to? ergonmic issues? color and material choices?

You have an interesting way to sketch, I think you should develop more on your watercolor technique. it will make your style unique compare with others ( well… it’s already unique! so keep that up!)

teachers always tell you what you want to hear! So does the employer before they really had to consider hiring.

When I was in school, I think I was good because I had a lot of teacher loved my work and lots of internship offers, scholarship, good grades… blah, blah, blah…
Once when I am out of school, I realize that being good and skilled is not nearly enough. I like what this designer always tell me.
" you are only as good as your worst sketch."