Close

Deleted my post?

Postby iab » April 8th, 2015, 8:07 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Offering constructive criticism is a integral part of the design process. Deleting a post which falls not only within the posted guidelines but also adds to the core values of design is complete bullshit.

What a sad place core has become.

Re: Deleted my post?

Postby yo » April 8th, 2015, 1:36 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

not sure what this is referring to. Didn't see it, but for the mods to delete something from a regular poster there is typically a reason. Lets see what the team says and stay level.

Postby rkuchinsky » April 8th, 2015, 5:15 pm

rkuchinsky

I didn't see or delete anything either, unless it was in a spam thread and the whole thread got deleted.

R
The Directive Collective
http://www.directivecollective.com

Postby Mr-914 » April 9th, 2015, 6:51 am

Mr-914

Me neither. Hopefully someone will contact you directly. I have noticed more spam on the boards, it could have been an unintentional.
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby NURB » April 9th, 2015, 8:19 am

NURB

I looked through the logs and didn't see anything. Was it on the front page, iab?
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby engio » April 9th, 2015, 8:57 am

engio
full self-realization
full self-realization

I'll back up iab because I witnessed that. It was a comment to a featured front page article titled something like "Why MIT's new something something will be a success". First comment was by David Beck addressing the author in a respective manner, but calling him out on some of the statements and asking the "designer ego" to be kept out of the spotlight or something like that. The second comment was a response to "@iab, or David Beck". Sometime later I saw that the front page article thumbnail said "1 comment", so I clicked in again. First comment was gone. I remember thinking "wonder where it went". I thought iab had removed it himself, because of the lecture in second comment. Although I found it a little strange knowing iab's level of debating from this forum. There is no way it could've been mistaken for spam.

Postby yo » April 9th, 2015, 9:01 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Ok. So it was a front page comment. Different mods. Thank you for the context. I'll send the front page team a note.

Postby iab » April 15th, 2015, 8:23 am

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

engio is correct.

There is absolutely no excuse for deleting my first post to that article. It was just blatant censorship. When did core become Stalin?

My snarky second post to the article calling the author's "clever" wordplay of d-washing as redundant did in fact deserve to be deleted. But that is irrelevant.

Is there any reason for someone with 20+ years of "Design" experience to post in this crap hole?

Postby oneonine » April 15th, 2015, 9:45 am

oneonine
step one
step one

I've been a bit curious about the moderation on the main site comments, I recently had a comment questioning a potential bias and source of an article not published, which surprised me given core 77's history.

Postby shaggy » April 15th, 2015, 12:39 pm

shaggy

We are making adjustments to our comment system now based on this and other feedback. Currently if a comment gets 3 downvotes it gets removed, which probably was the case here -- though I'm not ruling out overzealous moderation. We would like to preserve the up/down vote capacity but not let it interfere with legitimate dissent (vs. random negativity or abuse) -- there are a couple of options on the table, including a "click to view" label replacing the comment thread if it does hit that 3 downvote threshold but which would unfold the comment if it were clicked.

Postby KenoLeon » April 15th, 2015, 12:48 pm

KenoLeon
full self-realization
full self-realization

I recently had a comment questioning a potential bias and source of an article not published

Same here 9 months ago there was an article about a soap dish that channeled scum:

http://www.core77.com/posts/27191/When- ... lows-Fugly

I posted a comment about how I had made a very similar design some time before (and hopefully not fugly ), and the comment never appeared :(

I took it as a sign to never ever again post in the main comments.

Is there any reason for someone with 20+ years of "Design" experience to post in this crap hole?

I stick to the boards where so far I've had a better experience, the sketch threads and recently finished products(among a few others) are quite unique and for internet standards pretty civilized, I can't speak for others, but I value a lot what any designer, especially if an experienced one has to say in this carp hole : )
Eugenio (Keno) Leon
k3no.com Linkedin Instagram

"Go where you are celebrated, not merely tolerated"

Postby iab » April 15th, 2015, 2:47 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

shaggy wrote:We are making adjustments to our comment system now based on this and other feedback. Currently if a comment gets 3 downvotes it gets removed, which probably was the case here -- though I'm not ruling out overzealous moderation. We would like to preserve the up/down vote capacity but not let it interfere with legitimate dissent (vs. random negativity or abuse) -- there are a couple of options on the table, including a "click to view" label replacing the comment thread if it does hit that 3 downvote threshold but which would unfold the comment if it were clicked.

My God.

So you have reduced "Design" to a popularity contest?

Good job. You have made every dead critical thinker simultaneously spin in their graves. It is now official, core prefers a facebook format over the Algonquin Round Table. I can only thank you for dumbing us down even more.

I think the only next logical step is for you to forbid the use of letters and have all posts written entirely in emojis.

Postby iab » April 15th, 2015, 2:50 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

shaggy wrote:We are making adjustments to our comment system now based on this and other feedback. Currently if a comment gets 3 downvotes it gets removed, which probably was the case here -- though I'm not ruling out overzealous moderation. We would like to preserve the up/down vote capacity but not let it interfere with legitimate dissent (vs. random negativity or abuse) -- there are a couple of options on the table, including a "click to view" label replacing the comment thread if it does hit that 3 downvote threshold but which would unfold the comment if it were clicked.

Discourse is reduced to a thumbs up or a thumbs down. Do you even comprehend the incredible stupidity of that policy?

Postby iab » April 15th, 2015, 2:53 pm

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

iab wrote:Is there any reason for someone with 20+ years of "Design" experience to post in this crap hole?

shaggy, you have not made a case. Try again. Try harder.

Postby shaggy » April 15th, 2015, 3:52 pm

shaggy

:shock: ok, so we know where iab stands on it.

Anyone else have thoughts on the standard we should strive for with comment moderation on the main site? Should we have that overseen by a team of super-user moderators as it is here? Anyone want to be deputized for duty out there? or should the systematic method we have in place on the main site be refined and given another chance? and to be clear, the goal with the up/down vote mechanism is to allow members to elevate particularly good comments while pushing down -- not necessarily eliminating -- bad ones. It is not intended to stifle criticism, or controversy, it just happens that the way it is set up right now is doing that. Like I mentioned before we are trying to address that now.

Go to the Next Page

Return to core77 site feedback