Close

Hacking

Postby simon_four_fingers » April 24th, 2012, 9:21 am

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

It would be nice if there could be a Hacking section in skills, or off topic.
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm
Come on I believe that you can

Re: Hacking

Postby NURB » April 24th, 2012, 9:56 am

NURB

Like illegal hacking? Or Design-Hacks?
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby jada » April 24th, 2012, 11:09 am

jada
step four
step four

Hacking is always legal, it just means adapting, changing and messing with tech you own to make it more to your liking. But it is often confused with cracking (illegal). All crackers are hackers, not all hackers are crackers :wink: The difference has to do with your intentions for hacking. (the geek in me just couldn't resist)
What exactly is the ‘look of buttermilk’ and why should I want it?

Postby mipe19 » April 24th, 2012, 2:58 pm

mipe19
step one
step one

I apologize for the shameless plug of my thesis work but it just so happens to deal with the hacking of everyday objects.

http://modifyformisuse.posterous.com/

The site is a platform for discussion and discovery about the modified objects I have created. They have been modified according to observations of misuse, reuse, unintended use, purposeful appropriation and thoughtless acts. The motivator for seeking unintended uses are convenience, necessity & play. These objects were altered in order to facilitate specific unintended and unexpected uses and are not meant to be commercially viable products. Instead, they are tools to help start discussions and offer new ways of seeing the hidden potential in our everyday objects.

Please check it out and feel free to leave comments on the site and guess what you think they have been modified to do.

Thanks!

Postby Mr-914 » April 24th, 2012, 3:30 pm

Mr-914

99.9% of "hackers" are just script kiddies. Keep it off these boards plz !!!
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby thecuster86 » April 24th, 2012, 5:15 pm

thecuster86
step three
step three

^I second that...
The details are not the details, they are the design- Eames

Postby yo » April 24th, 2012, 6:34 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

Are we talking about IKEA hacks? Or hacking together a PC board? Or writing new code for an existing device?

Either way I'd say use your best judgement and work it into the most appropriate forum (ie Furniture, Software, and so on)

In general we don't think we need more discussion forums. We already have several seldom used ones.

Postby simon_four_fingers » April 25th, 2012, 9:53 am

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

Like Maker Fairs and Arduino, raspberry pi, and IKEA hacker. Or even building a hotrod. Maybe call a section "the workshop" or "the garage". Like a place to discuss maker culture and how that relates to being a designer. I didn't mean like being 1337, that's what IRC is for. A place where non-project projects could go better. Such as, I'm building bikes and furniture out of older larger high end road bike frames that have been damaged, it's not a professional project and I'm not looking to start a venture out of it, I just want to make stuff (and write run-on sentences).
summerdan wrote:At the famous designer's design, and see more of open the book thinking, read some books are always didn't harm

Postby Mr-914 » April 25th, 2012, 10:28 am

Mr-914

Simon: We have the "projects" category that is sorely under-utilized. I'd love to see more of what you're talking about, but just toss it in "projects".
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby NURB » April 25th, 2012, 10:32 am

NURB

I think that still deserves to be in the project section. If you've got something cooking, toss it up! We've got that Honda motorcycle build that's been going for a while, and there was that track car project that was pretty cool. Even if it's just a personal project with some process to it, I'd toss it up!
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Postby simon_four_fingers » April 25th, 2012, 1:29 pm

simon_four_fingers
full self-realization
full self-realization

touché

Postby Mr-914 » April 25th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Mr-914

NURB: W3rd. That Honda build blows my mind. We need more!
Ray Jepson

Return to core77 site feedback