the human footpint (well make that 1st world countries)

It is a program on national geographic channel, and all that profess to be “green” or “sustainable” or any of the other trendy terms that are bandied about whom have not watched it…SHAME ON YOU. Its a eye opener, from the huge ammount of soft drink cans that are used by most, to the massive ammount of plasics discarded. If you have kids, your putting over 3600 fully un biodegradeable diapers in the landfills, per hatchling. In our lives we generate over 70 tons of just waste, and use 4 tanker trucks of gas. The program did go on to show the huge ammounts of materials went into our lives. If anything this makes a very strong case not just for recycling but population control.

I completely agree with you, me and a couple classmates watched this before and it made a serious impact on us as students, actually one girl had a couple “nightmares” about her human footprint after that, that show really should inspire people to take control of the waste they leave behind.

Nice to see somebody else watched it, puts a real bend on “stuff”. I wonder how much of that 70 odd tons of stuff is stuff you/me/we designed and was used for a year or two.

Its at the top of my Netflix queue with a very long wait. I don’t have cable or I would have seen it already. I’m looking forward to watching it. Just watching Super Size me, and the amount of trash he generated eating McDonalds for 30 days is amazing. Glad its gotten good reviews and isn’t just a “puff-piece” if you will.

“If anything this makes a very strong case not just for recycling but population control.”

Take note of statements like these. File this under, Totalitarianism: What were those people thinking, how could they justify such atrocities?

I love the concept of this show, but hated the execution.

First, nothing really surprised me that much. If anything, I was surprised that I only ate “3 full cows” in my lifetime or the amount of milk I drink fills up a front-porch and driveway. Big deal.

Second, it didn’t quantify the “impact” which is the entire reason I watched the show. They showed “my” footprint, but without context to how many other footprints there are, how they differ by region or time-periods, or what the earth can realistically sustain, it seemed like useless data.

Third, it tried to hard with it’s super-slow camera moves etc. They were so impressed with themselves that they had to constantly remind us how hard it was for them to pull off with “behind the scenes” footage. That’s not why we’re watching.

Fourth, it was unnecessarily wasteful! Computer graphics would have been good enough for me.

just for the sake of correctness, we don’t use first second and third world any more, since the end of the cold war. now we use first tier and second tier, second tier being the former third world.

how many tankers of gas, I figure ive driven about 250,000 miles since Ive had my license, and at say 15 miles to the gallon thats…
16,666.6 gallons of gas in nine years

40000 on one wagon
40000 on another wagon
60000 on the first caprice
90000 on the second
10000 on the jetta
plus 10000 in other cars etc

does that make me the environmental pariah? i would think so

“We” do?

yeah, I took a few poli sci classes in college and they explained that since the second world had imploded, (ussr) countries have been reclassified into two groups, which no longer consider political systems as much as living conditions.

did anyone see the segment on good morning America where they did what sounds like a similar aggregation (correct usage?) of things like diapers, water, milk etc.

We were disturbed that they mentioned cloth diapers are not a viable alternative because they use about a swimming pool full of water to wash during their usage cycle. Some how I don’t see a swimming pool full of water, that will probably be treated and redistributed as comparable to 3600 diapers that will sit in a pile and never (relative never) be dealt with. zip please refrain from referring to the children as hatchlings, we prefer the term deduction :smiley:

direct cost to me, i have to pay school taxes as well as others for kids i dont have, “yours” get a free ride off of us that decided we didnt HAVE to add to the population mess.

It shows, poli sci is not science just a haven for law dogs entering the govenmental gravy train.

Wastefull LOL, how do we know the bread that was used in the shot was not put right back into the system or donated to local shelters, same with milk and the eggs were past their sell by date. If you put this into context of “uncomfortable truth” give me long shots of good REAL sets over gorbot rambling any day.

So being a thinker not just a mindless breeder is totalitarian? Pop concers/control has been a big top starting in the 70’s, but hey must pop out them demi clones to boost the old ego…its your “right”.

Of course, having 8 kids is a necessity. We all need to tend to the farm, you know.

o right, the 70’s I had almost forgot you guys figured all this out forty years ago, no need to educate anyone because there are no problems left to be solved and no new thoughts to be had. thanks for reminding us youngins.

that zip always quick with a joke or to light up your smoke… or so they say. And if you don’t think gravy makes everything taste better it is you who is the fool.

Was figured out, soundly accepted by “all” talked about over beer in the dorms, placards built (even used to impress women) then promply forgot about…typical cycle. Lots of things can be done, should have been done, but werent. How about tax credits for not having kids, was talked about but was never inacted, just the oppsite in fact. Ask a parent why they had children, the general answer is “well we love each other and we want them” or “to replace ourselfs” (not entering into the question why should they be replaced". More often the there is no descision, its just “oops, I am knocked up”, followed by dancing and such.

why do you “need” 2? our pop is expanding, seems like replacements are not the issue. I suppose the old “keep the family name alive” is a rational, not a valid one but hey toss the hatchlings into the suburban and head to the mall for some “diet” soda and pizza, followed by a big fudge brownie (after all 7,000 calories is hardly enogh per meal) the family tradion MUST BE KEPT ALIVE.

Is it just me, or is zippy just a few steps from the top of the clock tower?

zippy,

“So being a thinker not just a mindless breeder is totalitarian? Pop concers/control has been a big top starting in the 70’s, but hey must pop out them demi clones to boost the old ego…its your “right”.”

What?? Return with a coherent statement and you might get an answer. If that was even a question. Some things to consider, ‘being a thinker’ and supporting population control aren’t synonymous concepts despite your including them in the same sentence. Also, you may want to do some research on what rights are. Putting a word in quotation marks doesn’t absolve you from making an actual argument.

ip_wirelessly,

“Of course, having 8 kids is a necessity. We all need to tend to the farm, you know.”

I see that you are familiar with the straw man fallacy. Well done.

“why do you “need” 2? our pop is expanding, seems like replacements are not the issue. I suppose the old “keep the family name alive” is a rational, not a valid one but hey toss the hatchlings into the suburban and head to the mall for some “diet” soda and pizza, followed by a big fudge brownie (after all 7,000 calories is hardly enogh per meal) the family tradion MUST BE KEPT ALIVE.”

What are you talking about?

Does anyone here have an actual argument supporting population control, or should I just expect more phony anecdotes and poor syntax?