categorization of products for a sustainable infrastructure

hello everybody, ive been working on a design related side project in which im trying to divide products, systems, materials, and process into four categories in order to gain a better understanding on how to develop a truly sustainable world infrastructure (i know thats a bit wordy, but i couldnt think of a better way to put it) and id like to get other designers in on this. heres what i have so far, which is by no means a complete list. please contribute!

the categories:
1.“return to earth” is anything that can be produced/used then broken down to a natural state where it can be re-integrated by the environment
2. “recycle material” is anything that can be used, either indefinitely, until it breaks or is no longer useful, at which time the material or materials are separated, returned to a usable form and re-processed. One of the main aspects is to redesign “disposable” items to make them “recyclable” items. also, any abundant solid waste that can be used without re/processing
3. “long term use/re-use” is anything that can be designed to never need replacing, designing for easy maintenance and repair or the ability to upgrade/improve when necessary. these things are mostly utilitarian, but it isnt required.
4. “products/systems/materials/process’ to be done away with” is anything that can not be assimilated into a sustainable infrastructure and therefore must be phased out of the cycle of consumption or replaced with something that is sustainable. this also include things like international shipping, outsourcing, or lead paint.

so heres the list (as i have it so far)

Return to earth
Packaging (especially for consumers, i.e. boxes, food containers, etc)
Fuel/energy
food
Analogue media
Human/agricultural/
livestock waste (or any non toxic waste that CAN be R2E)
Agricultural products (fertilizer, pesticides, land use, etc)
Some luxury/hygene products (T.P., tampons, cleaning supplies such as soap)
Most natural resources used in industry or manufacturing
Existing solid waste (only that which can be safely returned to natural state)

Recycle material
Electronics
Furniture
Clothing
Analogue media
Transportation
Plastics (short term: convert to fossil fuel alternative. Long term: produce sustainable/enviro friendly plastics)
Luxury/hygiene products (razors
Small scale storage
Non-toxic Agricultural waste
industrial by products and non toxic solid waste
Existing solid waste such as scrap metal (much of it can not be broken down to a reusable form, but can be re-purposed or re-used as is)
Nearly all metal materials

Long term use/re-use
Homes/buildings
Furniture
Clothing
Tools
Appliances
Public infrastructure (roads, water, energy, agriculture etc)
Art/decoration/non functional or aesthetic design/
Bulk storage
Agricultural/industrial/
manufacturing equipment
Packaging/containers for large-scale shipping
Nearly all metal products

Products/systems etc to be done away with
Televised media
Culturally pervasive advertising
Electronic media storage devices (replace with all digital media)
Magazines, newspapers and other most other forms of analogue media
Fossil fuel based energy (replace with solar, wind, etc)
Planned/perceived obsolescence (i.e. anything disposable,
Consumption-centric advertising
Disposable packaging/products (simply a matter of public perception, replace “disposable” with “recyclable”)
Pharmaceutical based medical treatment (replace with healthy living and preventive care)
Petroleum based plastics
Toxic/harmful/contaminated chemicals
Anything that produces toxic/harmful waste or by products (such as nuclear energy, transportation including shipping, and manufacturing)

thanks for your input, this could be a valuable resource for “green” designers. oh, and sorry for the long post :stuck_out_tongue: