Close

Free energy from the playground

Postby chungdha » August 29th, 2007, 2:59 pm


chungdha
step three
step three
 
Posts: 110
Joined: August 24th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Just got crazy mad idea, as many know motion can change into enegery. What if children playground get some dynamo inserted to make energy. As we know children play hours and everything moves around and also be use to get some little energy out.

What you think cause its pretty easy to find things to insert them like in the hinges of the swing.

Just not sure what the power could be used for. I electric radio with tunes for kids? or a electric game.

What you all think of this idea?
ImageImage

Postby jGray » August 29th, 2007, 3:35 pm

User avatar

jGray
step four
step four
 
Posts: 465
Joined: April 20th, 2007, 4:30 pm
Location: Seattle
something like this?
Image
- jg

Re: Free energy from the playground

Postby jon_winebrenner » August 29th, 2007, 4:01 pm

User avatar

jon_winebrenner
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3115
Joined: October 26th, 2004, 10:56 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
chungdha wrote:Just got crazy mad idea, as many know motion can change into enegery. What if children playground get some dynamo inserted to make energy. As we know children play hours and everything moves around and also be use to get some little energy out.

What you think cause its pretty easy to find things to insert them like in the hinges of the swing.

Just not sure what the power could be used for. I electric radio with tunes for kids? or a electric game.

What you all think of this idea?


Not a new idea. I have personally thought that since my daughter started playing on playgrounds....and something in the back of my head tells me I have heard it somewhere before.

Was just thinking it the other day while my daughter was running around a water park. they had a bunch of spinning wheels from the water. Why not make it a little hydro plant to return a bit of the power to the system that it is pumping the water in the first place.

Re: Free energy from the playground

Postby zippyflounder » August 29th, 2007, 4:41 pm


zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: July 1st, 2007, 11:27 am
ip_wirelessly wrote:
chungdha wrote:Just got crazy mad idea, as many know motion can change into enegery. What if children playground get some dynamo inserted to make energy. As we know children play hours and everything moves around and also be use to get some little energy out.

What you think cause its pretty easy to find things to insert them like in the hinges of the swing.

Just not sure what the power could be used for. I electric radio with tunes for kids? or a electric game.

What you all think of this idea?


Not a new idea. I have personally thought that since my daughter started playing on playgrounds....and something in the back of my head tells me I have heard it somewhere before.

Was just thinking it the other day while my daughter was running around a water park. they had a bunch of spinning wheels from the water. Why not make it a little hydro plant to return a bit of the power to the system that it is pumping the water in the first place.
All of these scemes forget that it takes energy to build the generator, install it and lest we forget service it. Want to see energy drain from a kid, hand them a rake or a lawnmower.

Re: Free energy from the playground

Postby Cyberdemon » August 29th, 2007, 6:26 pm

User avatar

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 3201
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 11:51 pm
Location: New York
zippyflounder wrote:Want to see energy drain from a kid, hand them a rake or a lawnmower.


:lol: It's one of my personal theories that all of these misdiagnosed cases of kids with ADD are just because parents give their kids an Xbox and a bunch of Koolaid. Want your kid to be less hyper? Send them down into a coal mine or make them paint the house...they'll be tired in no time. :lol:

My kids are going to hate me... :twisted:

Postby elle » August 29th, 2007, 6:43 pm


elle
 
Posts: 8
Joined: August 14th, 2007, 8:54 pm
Location: U.S.
hi everyone... this is my first posting here but i constantly read...

i just had to reply with this link...

children play on this merry go round and pump well water at the same time!
so coool. :D

http://www.playpumps.org/site/c.hqLNIXO ... ission.htm

Postby chungdha » August 30th, 2007, 6:58 am


chungdha
step three
step three
 
Posts: 110
Joined: August 24th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Main reason to attracts the kids back to the playground. So they don't stay home and watch tv and play ps3 and xbox360 ( Wii is healthy unless you play too long.)

A generator isn't needed. Just small dynamo connected a small chipboard and a battery. Cause energy would not be inof to help a house to get in of energy. So the energy can be supplied back to attract the children's.

And all playgrounds get service by the government this is already done. You don't want you child to break there neck when they string snaps when they are playing on the swings.

@playpumps
Yeah walk 10 miles with a empty jerry can to play pump the water and walk 10 miles back home with a full jerry can. What do you mean child labor.

Merry go round looks more like turn the big sized wheel to pump.

Merry go round that kids push them self aren't played that much cause they only want the sit in it and let other make it turn.

A seesaw as a pump is particular possible better. Cause seesaw motion can do allot more then turning motions. And also less energy used by the children cause they use they body weights.
ImageImage

play 4 play

Postby mrtwills » August 30th, 2007, 7:10 pm

User avatar

mrtwills
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 723
Joined: August 30th, 2007, 7:06 pm
Location: Chicago
I don't think kids playing video games is bad, it's just when they play it too much, nothing in excess is good. What if the playground equipment was hooked up to their xbox or ps3 power supply? An hour of play time = a hour of video game time.

Re: play 4 play

Postby Cyberdemon » August 30th, 2007, 8:58 pm

User avatar

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 3201
Joined: February 7th, 2006, 11:51 pm
Location: New York
mrtwills wrote:I don't think kids playing video games is bad, it's just when they play it too much, nothing in excess is good. What if the playground equipment was hooked up to their xbox or ps3 power supply? An hour of play time = a hour of video game time.


Coming from a kid who grew up on video games (though in a different era) I don't think video games are bad...but I think that they serve very little purpose nowadays. When I was growing up and first started playing PC video games (my parents would never buy me a Nintendo :(), I would always hack around through game files to see what I could find and learn. That subsequent knowledge taught me computer programming, 3d modelling, photoshop, and all kinds of skills which directly effected and turned me into the designer I am...

With Xbox and Playstation...it's really more just "shoot things and collect points till your parents tell you to stop". And in that regard I think they serve very little purpose, especially in todays kids.

That African water pump is a great example. A product like that really manages to provide 2 key benefits (enjoyment for the children and a source of energy for the water pump) in a very smart way.

Postby chungdha » August 31st, 2007, 3:30 am


chungdha
step three
step three
 
Posts: 110
Joined: August 24th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Not all gamers make mods for games so they learn a bit. I've learned photoshop and 3dmax cause of making mods. But there are plenty of lazy people around who just download them and play. And you cannot mod all games.

What I can't believe are children playing sport on pc or tv only moving there fingers, while they can go outside and do the same and move much more.
ImageImage

energy

Postby aaron » August 31st, 2007, 9:41 am


aaron
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 291
Joined: February 8th, 2006, 7:16 pm
Location: Watertown, CT
Great idea, even if it was just to power the local street lights or park lights. Yo and I did a similar concept for a power generating fitness center that collect the energy from steppers and tread mills. At the time I did a little research with person that had created a stationary bike for generating power and although the system would likely have only created enough energy to power its own building, it is still an interesting line of thought.

Postby pier » August 31st, 2007, 11:13 am


pier
step four
step four
 
Posts: 364
Joined: June 1st, 2006, 3:34 pm
Location: Toronto
in my futurist utopia power generation will be largely devolved to small, unique, feedback type generating sources for local consumption. Kind of like the model of these internet fora and social networking phenomena where all content is provided by consumers. Probably there will always be big power generation to satisfy big business, hospitals, etc.

Re: energy

Postby zippyflounder » August 31st, 2007, 11:28 am


zippyflounder
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 1703
Joined: July 1st, 2007, 11:27 am
aaron wrote:Great idea, even if it was just to power the local street lights or park lights. Yo and I did a similar concept for a power generating fitness center that collect the energy from steppers and tread mills. At the time I did a little research with person that had created a stationary bike for generating power and although the system would likely have only created enough energy to power its own building, it is still an interesting line of thought.
a average human on a cycle puts out 1/10th of a hp and can only do that for about 1 hour (session lenght on a excercicle varies but 20 min is normal) a stepper would put out slightly less. What this means is your out put per human is 32.5 watt hours per user per machine (750 watt=1 hp) or you would require 3 people grinding away to power one single 100 watt bulb...just dont make sense.

Postby chungdha » August 31st, 2007, 12:34 pm


chungdha
step three
step three
 
Posts: 110
Joined: August 24th, 2007, 2:19 pm
Where you get that stat from?
A healthy human can produce about 1.2 hp briefly and sustain about 0.1 hp indefinitely, and trained athletes can manage up to about 0.3 horsepower for a period of several hours.

Indefinitely doesn't mean 1 hour.

1hp = 746w.

You need to get the stats correct.

How dare you use such a high power drain lamp. Use CFL bulbs or Led lamps that use much less power and longer lifespan.
ImageImage

Postby cg » August 31st, 2007, 2:06 pm

User avatar

cg
full self-realization
full self-realization
 
Posts: 2498
Joined: January 10th, 2004, 12:21 am
Location: San Diego
I think a playgound designed around a "green" theme like this is a great idea.

There should be some sort of display that indicates how much power is presently being produced, and how much has been produced in total.

You could also give the kids reconfigurable "parts" that they could hook up. Like a wind-generator, solar panels, etc.

You could even turn it into a game, where two teams work to assemble the most efficient power generation setup.

Go to the Next Page

Return to designer's accord and green design