whatsay??

yesso…IDevil…!!
what say ppl…???

Hi

I am in my final semester of Architecture and would like to pursue my masters in Industrial Design. I have been working on my portfolio and need some help and guidance.

bye,
Hariesh

hey hariesh…
just shoot ur qts…!!..
btw where do u wish to do your masters from?

hi

I would like to do my pg in Europe, UK or Australia.Right now my focus is on Europe & UK.
I need some suggestions regarding schools in Europe & UK.
Most importantly I would like to know what ppl expect out of a portfolio.

Do they want to see works that I have done regarding Industrial Design (which I have done). I have worked on a couple of Interiors, A few products like a paper clip, glass holders, furnitures, wash basins, table lamps, two seater cars, to a bicycle.

I have done all these through sketches…no software generated 3D views.

I had gone through the comments given to a few ppl in these discussion forums.But I still am not very clear bout it.

I would like to know how to go about the process of making a good portfolio.Would be helpful if I get a see a few…

bye,

Hariesh.

heya, in your portfolio, be sure to show how your designs and final pieces evolved from the initial concept. Include plenty of your early stuff (re-do your early sketches if necessary) not just the final renderings… In talking to a couple of grad admissions people after the application process was through, this was one of the points where i fell down in my own portfolio… benifit from my mistake!

I dissagree. Looking back at the NE IDSA conferences, I attended while in the ID program at RIT (1996-2000), I felt RIT’s students represented the most pragmatic and down to earth program out of the group.

Other NE conference schools seemed to emphasize design without boundaries and far out solutions - that is not what happens in the real world come time to earn a living as a desginer. Students from these schools may have had creative ideas, but they were not on the practical side.

My training at RIT gave me a well balanced preparation for real ID work. Just as much emphasis was given to basic design skills as well as the design process itself. I developed projects during my time there and even after graduation when working which stood their ground on all aspects by which you judge modern design. That includes solving a problem and at the same time balancing design goals with real world engineering, marketing and sales needs.

Dear Hriesh
as far as ID in Europe, Aus or uk is concerned i’m not the right person to comment…

Regarding the portfolio I totally agree with what random has said…
I would also add that its always a good idea to go through the websites of various schools/univs that you are applying and then c to it that your portfolio satisfies the minimum requirements of each of the schools…like size, stuff like when the project ws done, materials, ur input, size of model or design,…some do wish that your name be mentioned on each page, the cover page should mention the course and yr to which you are applying…etc…
http://www.coroflot.com is a good site where you could find various ways in which ppl exhibit their work,dont fail to notice the simplicity wid which its being displayed…bottomline keep it simple…you r not doing a graphic exercise(though to sm extent it is!!) bt providing a backdrop to your work!!!
Also its crucial that you be very selective in choosing the projects…make sure that your portfolio is relevant to ID( as you are into arch)…hence lotsa work related to ID, and it is always good to hv atleast some computer renderings…its all about showing the range of work you could do and not the quantity…guess a 15-20 pgs portfolio is enough if you devote each page to one project…

All the best…Hariesh.

hey nydesignguy…
guess you have done your undergrad course in ID from RIT?

If you noticed what has been disscussed in the post is Graduate Course.

What you said is right and I emphasize that RIT is very practical( which is same as saying its a studio based course) and thats exactly what I hv said in the post…its grad course is an extension of its undergrad course!!

The debate here should be whether its a good idea to hv a grad course just being an extension of undergrad course or should it be something at a higher level of thinking…?? in the former case you would be gaining knowledge which ne other undergrad wud be having and would really not add to your level of thinking which is the basic aim of a grad course …whatsay??

Hi

Need some help in choosing schools.I have been thinking of applying to the following schools,

1. Delft University, Netherlands.
  2. Domus Academy, Italy.
  3. IED, Italy
  4. Florence Academy, Italy,
  5. Design Academy, Eindhoven,
  6. Edinburgh University, UK
  7. Brunel University, UK,
  8. Kent University, UK
  9. Salford University, UK
  10. Middlesex University, UK.

Can ppl pls rate these universities so I can get an idea.Also suggest me other schools in UK & Europe.

Bye,

Hariesh

I think the better question is what do you plan to do with a MFA? Are you going to teach or continue to work as a designer. What was your undergraduate area of study?

I really don’t see what Graduate studies bring to the table as far as an employer is concerned if you already have a BFA in ID.

For the Brunel Vs. Loughborough universities, and descriptions of both, see the “Brunel / Loughborough” thread.

Both are prestigious universities for Design in the UK, and in the top ten of UK universities at the moment. I can’t seem to find the current Times list, though…

Yeah, and your point is? School is the place to prove that you can push the envelope and design solutions that are totally blue sky. The programs are designed to open your minds and eyes to new possibilities, not to limit your creativity to the engineering constraints that are assumed to be there. If not for blue ski ideation many of today’s innovations would not have evolved. IE OLED (flexible display screens you can roll up like paper), Apples use of translucent plastic with no merge or stress lines, shoot many IDers have even proved that the uniform wall thickness is not necessarily “law”. Let the design constraints stay in the middle phases of the real world work, and allow the students to expand their minds, eyes, and creativity.

Hi Random

Can you give me a list of university which has a good reputation for industrial design in UK.Your views would be of gr8 help in my decision making process.

bye,

hariesh

If not for blue ski ideation many of today’s innovations would not have evolved. IE OLED (flexible display screens you can roll up like paper),

I really don’t think that was the brainchild of some IDer - more likely engineers at Philips. The people at Philips Design just put it to practical use.

Regardless of what you think about blue sky design without boundaries, it surely won’t save US design jovs from being taken away by Asia like other areas of work.

When you get down to its essence, ID is about designing product that serves a need and makes money. Blue sky design work doesn’t do that in the short term which is what most of us are faced with in the real world of accelerated product development cycles.

Actually the engineering team at Philips was given the ultimatum to make it work of Apple would find another plastic vendor. And actually it was the ID department in collaboration with the engineering and molding vendors who together developed the process.

But my point was that if ID would only stick to the existing parameters and not explore “out there” concepts engineers, who are complacent by nature and tend to only want to do what already works, would never have any reason to develop new processes or disprove past manufacturing myths.

To put it in words you might understand…

Without Blue Sky Ideation There Will Be No Innovation…
And ID might as well be a dead end field full of engineer wanabes who couldn’t remember the formulas to pass their calculus, statics, and differential equation classes.

before thread gets needlessly off-track (will Designer ever repair the chip on his shoulder?) …

the decision is yours. you’ve done the research. know as much or more than most of us. all depends what you want. theres going to be some risk whatever you choose.

wrt question Does Grad school for ID matter? depends on why you go. its personal. debating on this thread pointless. the guy is going.

wrt the schools.

IIT seems out-of-mainstream in a good way (everyone knows the rep). non-accred (from IDSA? who cares?) maybe because of non-comformity, wont hurt it. thats why its supposed to be good.

NCSU is in a state with increasing industry. opportunities getting better but NC might not be a great place for int’l students (my guess).

RIT has good engineering rep. least used to. not sure now. but might make good friends in engineering there. probly good int’l community too. contacts can be important.

ASU is big mainstream univ. ID dept getting better rep lately. like someone said, probably good int’l representation on campus b/c its big. again. contacts are important. also think ASU has a solarcar competition entry - good chance to help out and get some practical experience in a quiet but important area of design.

good luck.

Interesting thread.Thought I could get some valuable inputs.I have just completed my architecture. I have applied for the foolowing.I intend to pursue my pg in Industrial Design.Need some help selecting the right school.

1. Domus, Italy
  2. IED, Italy
  3. TuDelft, Holland
  4. Brunel, UK
  5. Loughborough, UK
  6. Salford, UK
  7. Edinburgh, UK
  8. Sheffield Hallam, UK
  9. Manchestor Metropolitan, UK.
  10. Domus ( Interiors).

I have been accepted into both the Industrial & Interiors program in Domus and the Industrial Design program in Salford and Loughborough and the industrial program in IED,Italy. I am awaiting results for the rest.

I would like to know which of these univs are the best and in what terms.pls guide me with ur inputs.

Thanks in advance

Hariesh.

Soooooo. where did you decide to go? How is it?

hey…ppl
nice to see the thread still alive…Wish yall a very Happy New year!!

I chose ASU for my Graduate Study. and its been gr8…!! Ample opportunities for trans-disciplinary design.
Also, check out:

cheers

Hey so where are you right now?
Did you have an undergrad degree in ID or was that your first ever design education?