Going back to school, in design, au Québec?

Hey there!

I just graduated myself from UdeM’s bachelor in ID. We had a few students in class who joined us straight into our second year from their 3-yr technical degree. Like mentioned, they are a lot more technical in that they’re great sketchers and have a great mastery of CAD software but they are obviously lacking in methodology and research which is what the university courses provide (in 2nd year actually! :stuck_out_tongue:). You also get to take many interesting theoretical classes in regards to sustainability, innovation/prospective-focused design thinking, material cultural & its impact, etc. In 3rd year, you get to pick a “specialization” for the semesters’ 2 studio classes: furniture, transport, packaging, lighting, interaction, etc. And again during the 4th year, for your PFE (projet de fin d’études/final term project), although you are then given a lot more latitude depending on the initial problematic you’re solving for.

Here’s the site showcasing our cohort’s work.

I personally worked on a platform meant to replace the need for ID cards for the identification of self; which has nothing to do with “traditional” industrial design as I’m vastly more interested in solving for complex problems through digital means. That’s also an aspect of design that you would not actually get to explore in a 3-yr CEGEP degree.

I also got to go on an exchange abroad during my 3rd year which has been the most amazing experience of my life so far. From the little I know of UQaM’s program, a lot of students I’ve talked to eventually gravitate towards a Masters in architecture (as you get to “specialize” during your last year). I have not seen much I was actually impressed by in regards to straight industrial design. Like you hinted at, I don’t really know how much of a need there is for generalists either.

If you have any specific questions, I’d be happy to answer them!

Good luck :slight_smile:.