Share your Accepted school portfolio

Hey guys. Sorry if there’s already a thread for this I can’t seem to find it. (The portfolio boards seem more after school than starting) I’m starting a portfolio from scratch and looking for tips on how to present it. What better way than to look at accepted portfolios? If you still have your application portfolio please share with the school you got accepted to so newbies (especially someone like me with no design experience) know what to strive for.

I highly recommend going to a portfolio review around you even if it’s a bit of a hike. I was pretty much accepted to my school on the spot during my review process, and it was a great way to see what other people are doing. I even had my portfolio reviewed by schools I had zero interest in going to, just to get back as much feedback as possible. But my portfolio was mostly photography, with a handful of paintings and drawings, nothing really design orientated. I brought the original drawings and paintings, and i printed some of my photos and just stuck them in a binder. That being said, I was accepted to RIT, and I did not get into pratt, i only applied to two schools.

heres a link to my portfolio, from the high school days: sangoma - Hobbyist, Traditional Artist | DeviantArt

I agree with Sangoma - attending national portfolio review provided the feedback I needed.

Here’s a sample of my HS portfolio from 2004! It’s missing few pieces but you get the idea.

Still life & portrait focused with varying materials to show capabilities. My high school did not offer figure drawing classes so I signed-up for a local community college evening classes as part of the running start program during my junior year.

Applied to Cooper Union, Pratt, Parsons, SVA & RISD. Accepted to Pratt, RISD, Parsons & SVA, ultimately chose Pratt.

Thanks for the help guys! I definitely need to study more to catch up. I’ve been calling local schools to see if they have any portfolio development courses (or anything similar) and I’ll definitely look out for national portfolio review days.

Just for anyone who’s interested. I did find some online portfolio development courses, but way out of my price range. ($1800 for 12 1:1 classes @ ny studio. Still waiting on price from the other one I will update later). I rather save for school and study on my own. But just in case it might help someone here you go:

http://www.lesley.edu/pre-college/workshops/online-portfolio-preparation/