Graphic Designer Choosing ID Masters Programs

Hi all,

Let me preface this by saying I have read many, many threads, and am hoping for some situationally-specific feedback.

I am a recent Central Florida grad with a BFA in graphic design and a BA in studio arts. I have wanted to be an industrial designer since before I started school, but there are no real options here in FL. Now I’m planning to go for my Master’s, plus probably a semester or 2 of undergrad studies to fill in some my gaps, such as sketching and prototyping, which a lot of schools are willing to do or even encourage.

Here’s my problem: I have to go out of state, and I want to go to the best possible school. So how do I choose? I need to narrow it down so I can apply to a reasonable number. I don’t care where it is, as long as it provides an excellent opportunity/environment. I’ve done the college experience, so at this point I just want the best possible education. Currently, I’ve found 16 that seem like they will fit my needs. I’m hoping for feedback on which schools seem to be producing especially good students and work. I know that a lot of it depends on the student themselves, but I honestly just need help narrowing down the list. I have read so many forums, but I just ended up adding 2 more schools. Please help! I know it’s subjective, but I’ll take it! I’ve attached a spreadsheet with names and rankings from different sites, which haven’t been entirely helpful. If they’ve made the list then, as far as I can tell, they have the right balance of design and engineering and conceptualization for me. The green schools are ones I will definitely apply to. I need a safety school or 2 and a few others, so bring on the opinions! And if you work somewhere and receive lots of portfolios and don’t mind me picking your brain about them, please let me know!

Thank you! x 1,000

Hi Sarah,

If I could answer your question with a couple of questions, where do you want to work when you graduate, both in terms of geography and the type of company? Some schools have more connections and tend to produce students suited for certain types of employment.

Michael

Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to your question. If I did, I would probably be in much better shape! Not having any real experience in ID except for some amateur projects, I’m having a hard time narrowing it down. I don’t find myself attracted to one particular niche yet, so I want to try my hand at everything. I’d even like to take an automotive design course just out of personal interest. I think I’d like to end up in a big city, but other than that, I’m wide open. I could go for technology, furniture, appliances, or something else that I learn to love. I really wish I could give you a better answer. I’m not looking for anyone to pick schools for me of course, but I just want as much input as possible on which schools might not stack up as well to the others, or where is a really good option. Also, I don’t quite know what would be a “safety school”… Any thoughts? Thank you!

Unfortunately, I don’t know the answer to your question. If I did, I would probably be in much better shape! Not having any real experience in ID except for some amateur projects, I’m having a hard time narrowing it down. I don’t find myself attracted to one particular niche yet, so I want to try my hand at everything. I’d even like to take an automotive design course just out of personal interest. I think I’d like to end up in a big city, but other than that, I’m wide open. I could go for technology, furniture, appliances, or something else that I learn to love. I really wish I could give you a better answer. I’m not looking for anyone to pick schools for me of course, but I just want as much input as possible on which schools might not stack up as well to the others, or where is a really good option. Also, I don’t quite know what would be a “safety school”… Any thoughts? Thank you!

Hey Sarah,

I agree with Michael in that grad school is as much about embedding yourself in the design scene of a city as it is about study and that you should think carefully about the kinds of companies you want to work for when you graduate. School can be a great time to ‘get in the door’ of companies and make friends.

I recently (last few years) finished grad school at CCA in San Francisco, which I see on your list. So I can give you some more information about that program. Since I was there they have opened up two options for their ‘MFA in Design’ degree which I think is what you’ll be looking at. The 2 year option is much more focused on the high level aspects about design and discourse around design. The 3 year option adds a year of ‘skill building’ onto the front of this and would give you the chance to build some of those core skills that you normally would have gotten in an undergrad. So I think that’s a positive, but on the flip side, that program is very open ended and interdisciplinary, it’s not an out and out ID program like, say Art Center. That may play into your hand a little more as you do have a background in 2D design and I’ve seen some people go through there and meld those two things together in interesting ways.

Hope this helps