Graphic Designer Choosing ID Masters Programs

Hey Sarah,

I agree with Michael in that grad school is as much about embedding yourself in the design scene of a city as it is about study and that you should think carefully about the kinds of companies you want to work for when you graduate. School can be a great time to ‘get in the door’ of companies and make friends.

I recently (last few years) finished grad school at CCA in San Francisco, which I see on your list. So I can give you some more information about that program. Since I was there they have opened up two options for their ‘MFA in Design’ degree which I think is what you’ll be looking at. The 2 year option is much more focused on the high level aspects about design and discourse around design. The 3 year option adds a year of ‘skill building’ onto the front of this and would give you the chance to build some of those core skills that you normally would have gotten in an undergrad. So I think that’s a positive, but on the flip side, that program is very open ended and interdisciplinary, it’s not an out and out ID program like, say Art Center. That may play into your hand a little more as you do have a background in 2D design and I’ve seen some people go through there and meld those two things together in interesting ways.

Hope this helps