Close

designbreathing
step three
step three

bepster wrote:
Sain wrote:One of my favorite recent quotes is.

"Your work can only be as interesting as your life."

I agree with most here and think the advice given in the video series is a little generic but it's true, we did get a really great discussion out of this post.

Love that quote and I fully agree with this.
To me this begs the question, what makes a good designer?
Is it really those extra 10 sketches over the required 15? Or is it all the experiences and analytical thinking that went into the required 15 that show a number of different approaches?

It urked me in school when quantity was praised over quality.
Of course, you need to put in the quantity in order to reach a certain level of quality but success is not just about polishing the core skills.

For me, the person who gets "the edge" is the one who presents innovative, new insights in a compelling way.
Most of the time it was the person who connected their experiences and references the best and was able to see the bigger picture and then had the adequate skills to turn these insights and conclusions into an attractive solution.
From my experience, it was rarely the person who put all his time staring into a computer screen or sketch pad.

Trying to 'get the edge' over your classmates is fleeting at best. In the end, each design student's main competition is with themselves. Design is not track level F1 racing. There are designers on the F1 team of course, but if you're trying to apply downstream racing tactics at the upstream project level, crashing and burning are an inevitability.

The smart students are the ones who enjoy themselves, learn how to give and receive feedback from all different manner of sources and take risks in order to explore and learn new things. Anyone can pour their energy into preening their work and its presentation. The studio reality is that some crits and presentations are better than others. If you focus too much on the other guy and his work, you will fail to advance your own development as a designer. Do not let others work irritate you. Do not let others work force you to project your own insecurities. A good prof who knows his/her students can pick up on this and apply course changes accordingly.

Learn to appreciate the efforts of others. Learn to appreciate talent and ability when you see it. As a designer it is imperative to continually absorb the ideas, techniques and skills of others. Doing so will get you far further and leave you time to explore the next horizon that leads to the next inspiration. Inspiration is something that designers can never get enough of, and as they age, if they have learned to appreciate the talents and abilities of others in their career, you will not have to worry about keeping your edge sharp and inspiration will always be there when needed to energize the creative process.

A good designer makes it look effortless...Letting them see you sweat detracts from your design's value.
Form follows culture....

I've followed the discussions on this forum since it began...Asia is the future and I'm here to share my views and experiences.

Nice to meet you...http://designsymbiosisblog.wordpress.com/

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

bepster wrote:To me this begs the question, what makes a good designer?

1. Dreams big
2. Knows how to have fun
3. Gets shit done

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

Sain wrote:I'm seriously holding back from typing out a full reply, because I feel like I have to acknowledge the Type B person at every point I make in this thread

I'd call this good management if it didn't come off as condescending.

chandigarhlaserclinic

Very Nice Post And Usefull

JNL

In my opinion, the first thing you have to do is matriculate in courses that you like. Do what you like, and do it better than everyone else. If you really like it, investing time in it wont bother you. Of course benchmarking is healthy, but it is just that; a point of comparison. Only by defining your goals and objectives you can surpass yourselves. Everyone has a different approach on life created by the environment they where born into and the genetics they carry. So if it is haunting whether your classmate is better than you or not, always remember: He is different than you. Strength and weakness, gospel of our beloved Sun-Tzu.

Previous

Return to students and schools