Snow Sled Help!!!

Hi!

Im a sophomore in the Industrial Design Program at Purdue University and these classes have been driving me up the wall. I’ve never had an art and design background compared to that of my peers so sketching, rendering, and making models doesn’t come easily to me. I’ve recently received my last project back and I didn’t do so hot on it so I decided to come here for advice. :smiley:

Our most recent project is to design 4 snow sleds based on a company brand, the brand that I chose is Hasbro. And because Hasbro’s has such a wide variety of topics, Ive broken my 4 sled ideas into Spiderman, Nerf, Nerf Rebelle(maybe), and Easy Bake Oven. Any and all type of input could really help me! I have to have an exploded view as well and I havent been doing so hot on them lately. So without further ado, here are my hideous ideation sketches!

Easy Bake Oven

Teachers help sketch of Nerf

Spiderman

Thanks in advance,

Monique Barnes

[ Deleted ]

Hi Keno,

I completely understand where you’re coming from and I appreciate your reply. I majored in industrial design because I wanted to make products that impacted peoples lives for the better. So far since coming to college, I’ve taken beginners drawing, design drawing, and I’m currently in design drawing 2. I don’t practice, I probably should but I’m not sure where to start. I wanted help with refining my ideas to make them as detailed as possible.

[ Deleted ]

Hi Monique,
Choosing a toy brand is not a good idea. Doing 4 different sub brands is also not very helpful and being toys it may lead to gimmicky graphics that easily translate to spiderman, nerf, etc. However, if you want to be a toy designer then go for it.
It would be better to choose one brand and really break down their design language and apply it to the sleds. Try not to use their logos as the differentiating factor.
What are some brands of products your really like? What design language/characteristics do they use?
Dyson, Dewalt, Alienware, Audi, Fiskars, Bosch, Electrolux, etc.