Industrial Design: RISD or SAIC???

hi uolulu,
I finished my undergrad at SAIC two years ago (was there over 3 years), and I would agree the program is conceptual compared to most, (and that’s not necessarily a bad thing), but the AIADO dept. is in its own little bubble compared to the rest of the school, so the conceptualism is toned down quite a bit, with all of design (except Fashion and VisCom, for some, unknown reason) in one wing. And btw, I was a transfer (coming from a ceramic sculpture background), so I never did the First Year/Contemporary Practices Program and Sophomore Seminar, except for the required English and Art History classes, (and there are several Design oriented ones to choose from too).

According to your scale of tangible to abstract (which made me laugh), SAIC hits A, B, and C, though not as much C as you might think. Its important to note that ALL of those points are still done these days. You are going to make lots and lots of sketches and rough models, way before you turn to CAD and a finished prototype. I would say from my experience that I wished I learned more Market/ User Research and Manufacturing techniques like injection moulding.

The greatest thing about SAIC, that made me want to go and what I still love about it, is its inter-disciplinary philosophy. Object Design would be your emphasis, but you should definitely take advantage and experiment with the other great classes/skills that are available to you, like Art & Tech, Metals, and of course my favorite, Ceramics.

As for technical/manufacturing/entrepreneurship concerns, yes SAIC tends to lack heavily, but these are things that can also be learned outside the program, on your own. For example, I took several Rhino and CNC Integrated Fabrication classes, but took a nightly adult class for Solidworks after I graduated (no big deal, and super cheap). I learned by far the most from my two internships while in school, which I highly recommend to get those business/studio and manufacturing experiences you want and need.

If you decide to go, aim on applying/getting in the GRFY, Samsung and Salon del Mobile studio seminars inside the dept. Classes like Lee Weitzman’s Furniture Design Practices in the summer are amazing, because you go to manufacturers, studios, retailers all over Chicago, plus NeoCon. And absolutely attend lectures and workshops over at UIC, to learn for instance licensing and patenting/ intellectual property.

I would say that ultimately, is it up to you and your self-discipline to get the most out of where ever you choose to go. Your professors are your mentors for life, so forge strong relationships with them, since they know exactly what you are going through, and where your concerns stem from. You should start up a conversation with one of the faculty, like Tim Parsons, or George Aye. Also, celebrate the fact you got such a huge scholarship, because this place is EXPENSIVE, and if your final decision comes down to money, you can do no worse then go there.

PM if you have any other questions or concerns. Best of Luck!