Engineer That Loves to Draw

I’ve been having a REALLY time deciding on my next move. I will be graduating in May with a BS in Mechanical Engineering. After several engineering co-ops and internships and research, I feel as if my passion is more into the design side of things than engineer, which is actually pretty boring to me. I have already applied to Auburn’s Post-Bacc/MID program with the mindset that in the best case scenario, I will find a ID job after the Post Bacc year is completed. On the other hand, I have an offer to get my Masters/PhD for free in Mechanical Engineering (engineering as always been easy for me, as stated before, it’s just boring!). Honestly, I simply want to start my ID career and build from there, hopefully acquiring my own design firm one day. In preparation for MID graduate apps, I have completed a portfolio, but from these boards, I do not feel as if that is where I need to be, as I have no interest in teaching. I have studied tutorials and other sources in efforts to learn Photoshop, Illustrator, and SketchBook Pro, as well as working on my general sketching skills. As an engineer with no formal training in ID, but loves to draw, what are my options from here? Also, I’m in the midst of working on my senior design project designing a system that will automatically wash and dry small glass plates (most basic way I can explain it). I have included some basic CAD designs and what I would call an ID conceptual sketch (which i plan on rendering in Photoshop later). All advice/views are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

P.S. For those who would like to see my portfolio (as I know one’s portfolio is everything in the world of ID), I will gladly send it to you for review and feedback!

Just more things I have worked on…

You’ve making a very common perspective mistake that noone points out when teaching the vanishing points principles.
Make sure the perspective lines intersect at no less than 90 degress, or the perspective is forced. While perspective is technically correct, it’s not how human eye sees things… maybe frogs or birds.

Thanks for that tip! I havent had any formal training, ID-wise, so all Ive learned has coem from google and youtibe haha

From what I have been told, and read here on Core, a Bachelors in ID carries a bit more weight than a Masters. Not saying a Masters is useless, but a Bachelors will teach you the fundamentals, like sketching and design process, etc. Those things you may not necessarily get from a Master program.

Another thing you can look for is a masters degree that combines both ID and engineering. I know UPenn has a program like that, and I am sure there are other schools that do as well.

Those sketches are a good start if you’ve never been trained.
Perspective is #1 indeed.
#2 is lighting. Your main light seems to be behind your product and very low, creating this extremely long and heavy drop shadow. This is hardly ever used, only if some special dramatic mood adds to conveying the product’s character.
Usually the main (key) light is at about 45 degrees in front of the product, and 45 degrees up. It gives a drop shadow behind and to the side of the product that is much smaller and more subtle than you’ve drawn it. Also, look into construction of drop shadows, you’re making some errors. And next time do some better hatching like standard cross hatching (angles less than 90 degrees, more like 30), or better, use ink and markers! If you’re creating a heavy drop shadow like you did, you can consider fading it out and blurring the edges the further it moves away from the product. Also make sure to put shading on the product, though I prefer to keep that subtle.