Beginners Resources

I want to enter the world of ID; however, my school does not offer ID classes. Though, I am taking architecture classes to help ease the learning curve. I have begun to look for online resources to begin to learn ID, but my search has become overwhelming as I do not know where to start. I would greatly appreciate it if somebody could help point me in the right direction with where I should begin, and resources to progress in a proper manner. Thank you!

Hi Bkim, welcome!

While architecture is in the similar realm as ID, it’s still very different. You might be better off looking into fine arts classes - ID programs often start with these basics. The classes will also help you build an art portfolio which are often necessary when applying for a design school or program.

I know it’s not easy to change schools, but I would consider looking at your options to switch to a school that offers a dedicated program:
http://www.idsa.org/list-id-schools

As far as other online resources I’d say you’re at the right place - Core forums are a good way to post questions and find help!

Hi Noahwangerin,

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately transferring is not an option for me, and I will be finishing my degree at my university here. I have taken many fine arts classes at my university, and I was hoping that Architecture could give me a foundation for ID. From there, I want to supplement my studies with online resources and RISD summer classes.

Are there any online tutorials or basic beginner projects that would be a good idea for me to work on?

take Don Normans design of everyday things class online at Udacity.com
Coursera has a design of products online class, and Designboom has design aerobics and competitions that are very beginner freindly.

Thank you, no_spec!

This is exactly what I was looking for!