Into + School direction for veteran with few options?

Most “4 year” ID programs are as described below, really 1 year of foundations art classes which you take with students who will go into other Fine Arts majors like Sculpture, Painting, Graphic Design, etc. then 3 years of your major after that. I, along with several of the people I went to school with, spent 2-3 years earning an Associates degree at a Community College (also getting several General Education requirements out of the way for much cheaper than at the University). This also meant I had more time to explore foundations / fine art, and that made it easier for me to build a strong portfolio to apply/ transfer to the University.

In my case, the Community College and the University had a pretty good relationship, and the counselors at the CC were able to make sure that most if not all of my classes would transfer with full credit. If you know where you plan to transfer, or have a few places in mind, the CC should be able to help ensure the classes you are taking will be accepted by that school.