Western Washington University?

Thanks for your responses.

In order to obtain permission to declare a major in industrial design, I have to submit an entrance portfolio along with my admissions application. Guidelines say: maximum of 12 pieces, including sketching, 2d design, 3d design, and computer-based design. I have some rough ideas, none of which I’m sure apply to industrial design, but the problem is that I have no idea what I’m up against. What kinds of portfolios do people applying to undergrad industrial design schools have, and what can I do to make mine stand out? I want them to remember me and want me - I really want to get into this school.

And in terms of it being an engineering school: I kind of like this setup better than others I’ve looked at (where all the classes are either art or engineering). I feel like this sort of half-and-half would give me a more balanced frame of mind, and help me branch out more. Apparently students submit samples of their engineering work in their portfolio, but I have absolutely no idea what that would entail. What kind of work would be engineering work, and should I even worry about it?

I want to show them that I’m driven and really want this, and am willing to work for it. I was thinking of applying to some jobs related to the field that might give me some experience or at least teach me some things I could use. Problem: I have no idea where to look. Internships, apprenticeships, jobs… anything cool I could look around for that might not be that well-known?