Design Thesis Project

Any thoughts out there for a solid, well-rounded thesis project? Perhaps some examples of successful projects would be helpful? I’m looking for something sizeable that has both lots of form and function?

Hi James,

just wanted to reply so your post doesn’t look so lonely.

Take it easy :smiley:

To do a great thesis, you first have to be passionate about the idea. This is because the thesis will burn you out, and you will loose your drive if you are not totally committed and focused on it.

Answer these questions first:

1. What are your interests, hobbies, pastimes?
  2. What are you passionate about?
  3. What industry or market category do you dream of working in?

Answer these questions then if you still cant see an opportunity post this information to see if anyone can give you suggestions.

For me I am very passionate about education, primarily improving education for children for low-income school districts. I started my thesis at the beginning of my senior year by gathering information, approaching school administrators, etc… As it is almost March I realize that you do not have this luxury, so finding something you are passionate about is even more important as you will be working non-stop to do a quality job by May.

To do a great thesis, you first have to be passionate about the idea. This is because the thesis will burn you out, and you will loose your drive if you are not totally committed and focused on it.

Answer these questions first:

1. What are your interests, hobbies, pastimes?
  2. What are you passionate about?
  3. What industry or market category do you dream of working in?

Answer these questions then if you still cant see an opportunity post this information to see if anyone can give you suggestions.

For me I am very passionate about education, primarily improving education for children for low-income school districts. I started my thesis at the beginning of my senior year by gathering information, approaching school administrators, etc… As it is almost March I realize that you do not have this luxury, so finding something you are passionate about is even more important as you will be working non-stop to do a quality job by May.

I definitely agree with what ‘designer’ wrote about the passion, personal interests and picking something that you would like to pursue for your career.

One of my main goals was to maybe find something that shows my capabilities and at the same time rounds up my education. We pretty much never had any classes on interactive design, navigation and so forth, so I’m pretty happy I found a thesis where I not only have to deal with print and brand, but also with interactive design. At the same time it is a great thing if you can show that you can find a concept and build a complete project around it including research, analysis, synthesis, …

So, in short, it should show that you got a well-rounded education, and have solid skills in many areas. Tell me if I’m missing something. Due to the time restriction, you probable have to make a compromise in some points.

That’s the way I see it right now, and hopefully this spawns some discussion.

Go James