Close

MP7P1

Harrier99 wrote:Hi,
So I'm going to CIA this fall, and I just noticed (maybe a bit late haha) that the graduation rate at the school is around 50%! Is there something I should know? Maybe SaMi8402 could chime in?

Hey I'm attending CIA in the Fall too! I did notice that the graduation rate was pretty low as well, which I initially found surprising since I've literally only heard good things about the school and its programs. I wonder whats the cause of this here or at any school for that matter. I've pondered cost, lack of direction and advisement, program structure or perhaps its just the type of personality artistic careers attract? who knows, but i'm sure i'll find out soon haha.
J Ramdene
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jramdene

Cleveland Institute of Art | 2018
Candidate for B.F.A. in Industrial Design
think[box]: Teaching Assistant
IDSA, CIA Student Chapter, President

SUNY, State University at Albany
B.S. Economics

tdzb36

Hi everyone . I am good at furniture desgin ,I want to know which is better between Cranbrook Academy of art 's master of furniture and Rhode Island School of Design's master of furniture desgin .Would you help me .Thanks a lot .

DLAJr_

I have a few questions. First off I am a Junior in High School. I attend Arlington High School in Arlington, TX and currently I have three goals.
1) to become a great Industrial/Product Designer
2)To work at Apple Inc. and design the worlds leading consumer products.
3) To work at Google, Microsoft or Motorola and develop their android devices.

I'm afraid that I am stuck between two colleges. Money is not a problem because I'm not too concerned if I'm in debt or not. I just want to learn from the best and get paid for doing what I love. My first choice is CCA (California College of the Arts) because it's closest to Apple and their campus seemed more welcoming. My second choice is ACCD (Art Center College of Design). I heard such wonderful things about ACCD but little to none about CCA. My questions are which can I get more for my buck, which have the more rigorous of Product Design courses, and where do I have a better chance of getting an internship or working at the top three tech giants. I know Microsoft and Google are easier to get into than Apple but Apple is where my heart lay right now.

What do you advice for a Junior to start doing to get ready for either CCA or ACCD. I want to be prepared as possible, win as many grants/scholarships as I can and get the best ID bachelors degree for my situation. Sorry if the message sounds a little confusing. Please also if you can refer me to some people or resources to help me build my portfolio. I have a Behānce page at Behānce.net/DLAJ Thank you in advance.

Daniel Austin

Robbie_roy
step four
step four

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the boards! It is good that you are thinking about these things already. I wish that I had done some more research "back then" and had found out more about ID and the online community before getting out of high school, and I am sure other members here are in the same boat.

It is good to have goals -- knowing what kind of company you would like to be at -- but I would try to keep an open mind for the time being.

Yes, Apple is nice, but there are thousands of iPhone concepts online that are all very much alike, and a lot of the designers of those concepts only have Apple concepts in their portfolios. To any employer that isn't Apple*, they would probably think that you can't design anything besides that. After 4 years in school (and internships at other companies), your design tastes will change, and what if you then want to do something different? You might regret limiting yourself to 3 companies. 4 years is also a huge time span for consumer electronics to change (smartphones may be completely different by then or not even exist).

A big part of school is to push you outside of your comfort zone. Teachers will want you to explore a wide range of problems that design can solve, explore a wide range of concepts after deciding on a problem, and then come up with solutions to that problem. If you go into the project with the mindset that "I'm going to design a slick smartphone," you will automatically be limited from the start, and your teachers will not be happy. Not to say that you can't challenge the teachers at the right time. ;)

I don't know too much about those schools. Art Center has a great reputation but I don't know many details about their Product Design program. You might also look at ID at the DAAP (University of Cincinnati). They are a favorite of this board, and a few designers here could tell you more detail about the program. CCS (in Detroit) is also good. Definitely practice observational drawing (people, still lifes, architecture, etc.) all you can, that will help with getting into most schools -- they usually prefer these skills to digital and design skills as they want you to be a blank slate.

*I am not sure if the designers that Apple hires actually have Apple stuff in their portfolios or not. I know one talented designer who works at Microsoft, and her student work was not an endless stream of tablet designs, but a varied but strong portfolio with some consumer electronics, some experimental new materials, and some furniture / lighting.

That was long-winded but ask any more questions you might have!

jarman65
step one
step one

DLAJr_ wrote:I have a few questions. First off I am a Junior in High School. I attend Arlington High School in Arlington, TX and currently I have three goals.
1) to become a great Industrial/Product Designer
2)To work at Apple Inc. and design the worlds leading consumer products.
3) To work at Google, Microsoft or Motorola and develop their android devices.

I'm afraid that I am stuck between two colleges. Money is not a problem because I'm not too concerned if I'm in debt or not. I just want to learn from the best and get paid for doing what I love. My first choice is CCA (California College of the Arts) because it's closest to Apple and their campus seemed more welcoming. My second choice is ACCD (Art Center College of Design). I heard such wonderful things about ACCD but little to none about CCA. My questions are which can I get more for my buck, which have the more rigorous of Product Design courses, and where do I have a better chance of getting an internship or working at the top three tech giants. I know Microsoft and Google are easier to get into than Apple but Apple is where my heart lay right now.

What do you advice for a Junior to start doing to get ready for either CCA or ACCD. I want to be prepared as possible, win as many grants/scholarships as I can and get the best ID bachelors degree for my situation. Sorry if the message sounds a little confusing. Please also if you can refer me to some people or resources to help me build my portfolio. I have a Behānce page at Behānce.net/DLAJ Thank you in advance.

Daniel Austin

ACCD and CCA are both great programs from what I've heard. But if what you think you want to do is consumer electronics then I might choose CCA solely because it is in the Bay area and most of the professors are professionals working in the industry so you'll have an advantage in terms of making connections at employers. I looked into transferring to ACCD a few years ago and balked at the cost of tuition there -- not sure how bad CCA is but going to school in SF can't be cheap. Just an observation but I haven't been seeing a lot of great portfolios coming out of ACCD recently -- just judging by what I've been seeing from some of the stuff on Behance and which schools are being represented at the big firms.

On the other hand, I would strongly consider UC. I think they have the best combination of a great program as well as connections in every single industry especially consumer electronics out in the Bay area. I would take UC over either CCA or ACCD if I could go back 5 years when I was looking at schools. UC also has the advantage of not being a private school so much cheaper tuition.

Regardless, which school you choose can make it easier to get to where you want but by no means is it the deciding factor. As long as you go to a good program and work hard enough on getting some solid projects in the areas your interested in then you should be fine.

Eton

Has anyone heard of Metropolitan State University of Denver? It seems like a great deal as far as ID schools go, but I'm curious how their program stacks up against others.

shaunakdeo

I was going through the different Grad school threads and found this one very useful. I am from a non design background and wanted to pursue design. I was looking at 3 year MFA program in CCA. As they teach design aspects in their first year for non designers. I am surprised that you did not mentioned CCA in your list. Is it not a good school? Can you please tell me names of good grad schools for non designers? I am also looking for different job functions and positions people get into after graduation. If I can get that information I will appreciate your help.

Want2beID

I was accepted to both RIT and VT for industrial design but I cannot decide which one I should choose, did anyone go to either that can give me insight on the curriculum or availability of career opportunities after graduation? I don't know which one has a better reputation and will open more doors for ID I visited both schools and am happy with the location and size of either of them. Thanks!

yo
Administration
Administration

One of my coworkers went to VT, I sent this to him to chime in.

Want2beID

Okay thank you!

savage
step two
step two

Want2beID wrote:Okay thank you!

Hello Want2beID, I went to VT about 10 years ago.

VT has a great ID program. The curriculum is a good blend of design theory and hands on skills. They have one of the best wood and metal shops that you will find. I believe they now teach Solidworks, which is a very valuable skill to know. Myself and many of my friends were able to land jobs and are still in the design field after 10 years.

Blacksburg is cool town, its small and has a tight community mostly made up of students. I thought it was great because there was alot less distractions than would be at a larger city. You will have plenty of time for distractions after you graduate. Virginia Tech is also a major university so you have a big time football program and other collegiate sports. If your into that, its there, but if your not, its easy to get away from it.

I cant compare it to RIT, because I dont know anything about their program.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions

HockadayIX

I was just accepted to both Ohio State University and Arizona State University. I'm currently applying to SCAD and UC.

I know OSU is a good school, but I'm very un-easy about the portfolio review, that cuts students from 150 to 18. And I cannot find much information on ASU's program. Could anyone shed some light on either school? Thanks.

Sofia_Germani

Hi,

I'm an industrial designer from Sao Paulo, Brazil. I graduated from USP a few years ago and have been doing volunteer work in Portugal for almost a year now. I have been trying to focus - and want to continue to focus - my work on design for social innovation related to different aspects of child development (education, nutrition, gender equality...).

I have just been accepted to a few Master programs and after a lo-ot of research, I've already ruled out Pratt (ID) and SVA (DSI), but I can't seem to make a decision between Harvard (MDes) and KADK (CoDesign). I know they have absolutely nothing in common, but both have many strengths that can lead me to my goals, and I've been having a hard time making a decision, so I was wondering if anyone has had experiences with these two and has any thoughts.

Thanks!

Ryan_McGinley

I went to Strathclyde University in Glasgow to do Product Design & Innovation, however it turned out to be a very technical engineering and broad product development course - these seem very common in the UK at engineering centred universities. Similar courses are available at: Loughborough, Brunel, Glasgow School of Art, Nottingham, etc. This broad degree helps me more now in big technical projects, but not to get your foot in the door as a designer for your first job.

To get in to industrial design, I had to go do a masters program. I looked at a fair few options in England and settled on Northumbria University, Newcastle. The School of Design there is a very nice program with very experienced designers on hand to offer solid feedback. It does however take on a huge intake of students and often too many for each tutor to handle.

If you are from the UK with a technical background, I recommend this scholarship for your MA - Royal Commission of 1851: http://www.royalcommission1851.org/awar ... rialdesign

Teresa_Hichens_Olson

My daughter has some big decisions to make over the next few weeks & we are trying to gain more info. The questions being about undergraduate degrees—she has a few full-ride options for industrial engineering but knows she wants to do product design but Dartmouth, Reed & Swartmore are great schools that don’t have those programs but do have industrial engineering. Would it be a good foundation to get her BS in engineering and then go on to Product Design? I think she might enjoy the later more but her science & math are off the charts strong. Her other choices are UC, Carnegie Mellon, RISD, RIT and U of Oregon and maybe Stanford all which have undergrad design programs & that is truly what she want to do. She has gotten into Honors at Oregon but not UC. Thoughts? I know is UC is a favorite here but is so much better than the others or just the one more ppl get into?

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to students and schools