Industrial Design Schools: Opinions and Questions

I would ask the question if you are leaning towards UI/UX if you actually want to pursue Industrial Design at all, or actually want to look for a dedicated interaction design/Human Computer Interaction program. There are programs that will let you do hybrids of both, but if you want to focus specifically you may come out with a more stronger portfolio in that area.

CMU has an outstanding HCI program. Georgia Tech also offers a masters degree in that field. All are good programs but very different. More specifically, if you are going to spend 4 years somewhere, you should decide if it’s going to be Pittsburgh, Atlanta, RI or NYC. All have very different vibes which will make some people happy and some miserable.

Hey Mike and Yo, thanks for the suggestions! However I’m not from the US, so visiting these schools prior to admission won’t be possible.

I think I wasn’t entirely descriptive about my interests, since I see I only mentioned UI/UX to be an interest. Apart from that, I’d say that my primary focus would be user-centric products, both tangible and intangible. Ergonomics is also something that greatly interests me. So for example, designing a game controller would be something I’d like to do in the future, since it has all the aspects that I’m interested in.

I think this is why I want to get into Industrial design, since I don’t want to restrict myself to UI/UX only. I feel I’d get more exposure on the whole, and can then make a decision on what I’d want to specialize in.

Pratt or Art Center. Why on earth would one think arts are properly supported in state schools? Why live in a “red” state? Your choice of school is the first step in defining yourself and your interests.

When my son was looking at schools (non visual fields) I told him to pick a brand name and that way people don’t have to ask you “What state is that in?”

My Choice? Pratt.

That is an odd way of looking at things. It is hard to argue with the portfolios coming out of the Ohio schools in my opinion.

Just a quesiton of proximity to major metropolitan areas and all of the exposure to so many things that affords. That kind of environment rounds out a person and adds so much more than the curriculum itself. The measure of a designer is not their portfolio alone.

Is Australia has scope for Industrial Design?? and Which is best Universities or colleges to do Masters of industrial design in Australia?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Hi,
I am a Product Designer based in India.

Could anyone give me a feedback on the following 2 masters course and how suitable are they for a product designer?

Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, Dessau - Master in Integrated Design

TH Köln (University of Applied Sciences) - Master in Integrated Design

As the course are open to various design disciplines, are they structured or very open-ended?

Hi all, daughter trying to decide where to go for Industrial Design. She has been admitted to UC Daap, Virginia Tech, RIT, OSU, Auburn. These are all so different that it is hard to decide. She loved the feel of UC. Any advice on which is the best? Thank you in advance!

UC

UC’s portfolios are really good.
I would research their programs, look at their professional networks and see if they offer sponsored projects, co-ops, or internship opportunities.
Good luck.

I’d almost stick RIT up there with UC - some of the UC books and people I’ve encountered who are looking for their first job, I get the feeling like they’ve been told for four years that “you go to UC, your s–t doesn’t stink” and it goes to their heads. RIT has a bit more grit, perhaps. Maybe its the awful winters.

I have seen some very good portfolios from UC, especially in automotive. But also quite plain and generic ones. In the end the motivation and work ethic of the student is what matters most. However I can tell you that harsh winters are great for productivity, and creativity!

What you make of it is very true and best advice, but the industry connections and Co-Op at UC are top notch, which is hugely valuable, even long term.

I have also run into a lot of egos that come out of that school as well, both students and industry professionals, and can be off putting.

I had UC students in the mid/late '90s turn their up nose at co-op opportunities at Panasonic when I was ID lead there. Granted, Panasonic was located about 2 hours south of Cincinnati (a bit south of Lexington, KY), but I would think that having a co-op at Panasonic would look good on a resume. After a few tries, I quit notifying them about co-op jobs we had open.
I’m an '86 Auburn grad, so I’m partial to Auburn. Not an art school, but it’s a great university with a well rounded program. I was in state, so tuition in mid '80s was literally 1/10th what it is currently for in state.

Hi everyone! Does anyone have feedback on the Industrial Design Engineering BA Program at the Hague University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands? Is it worth going there?

Just wondering, if this list is still valid after almost 2 decades or there is any particular new edits?

Great question… I feel like we don’t get the volume of young designers and students we once did on here so what most of us would have to say might be conjecture. It would be great to get the input from some recent grads and students to see if anything has changed?!

Hi all! This thread has been really informative so far, I’m hoping to get a little more insight into picking a grad school. I’m from a non-design (business) background, looking to pivot into industrial design. I’ve been lucky enough to be accepted (yay!) into the MID programs at Pratt and RISD (the 2.5y program).
I understand that a lot of folks say that grad school for design isn’t necessary, but I am looking for more of an exploratory/exposure type experience to help define the type of designer I want to become. In the long term, I’m interested in more entrepreneurship/creative cross disciplinary opportunities. Duration and funding are thankfully not major considerations in my decision making process. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through!

Pratt thoughts

• Good location - (1) No need to move (I’m currently NY-based, did my undergrad + worked here) + (2) potential to continue expanding my network and work/intern while studying + (3) NYC/Brooklyn and all that it offers in culture and exposure
  • Will have an existing support network here through what will likely be a challenging pivot process (I’ve had brushes with anxiety in the past, but am prepared for the crit system to take a little getting used to)
  • GID program: Pratt has an international program that rotates with RCA and Keio which is really interesting to me both for cross-functional experience, but also more international exposure (I myself am international, so I appreciate the active integration of this lens) BUT this might also mean adding an additional year in the middle of the program and joining the class below on return
  • Known to have some non-designers in the MID program, which will hopefully add more interdisciplinary flavour + offer some company in my ramp up into design school
  • Not sure if this is representative, but an acquaintance mentioned that their friends found Pratt ID more theoretical and less hands on (which went against the impression I’d had that they were more maker-centric) + a lot of instructors are not full-time, so their level of engagement might fluctuate
  • Class size is ~25 people

RISD thoughts:

• All accounts I’ve heard of RISD’s ID program were very positive - in experience, reputation, culture etc.
  • Have heard great things about the RISD ID facilities and shops
  • Extra winter + spring session (the 0.5 year) with structured introduction to ID as a non-design background student before joining up with the rest of the cohort, although from other things
  • Students from the virtual sessions I attended seem like a close community + emphasized that RISD really helps you find your voice as a designer, which I do think I need
  • Cross school opportunities with Brown, although I did read that schedule reconciliation is tough
  • RISD’s brand recognition + alumni network (although Pratt doesn’t seem shabby in this, but might be more recognisable to non-design folks if I want to do external partnerships or work internationally? This is a lower priority for me but not zero)
  • Being in Providence is a slight detractor for me since I’ve always been in big cities and like to recharge in museums, parks, constant flows of people etc. + no immediate support network. I know it’s only 3.5h away but I imagine with all the workload I’m anticipating that won’t be a very frequent trip!
  • Have heard RISD isn’t as great at preparing folks for real world application (careers etc.)
  • Class size is ~15 people - which seems to me would be great in terms of building relationships, but might offer fewer different perspectives?

When I was first applying, Pratt seemed like a really good fit based on location, program etc., but general accounts I’ve heard so far say that RISD has an excellent ID program so I’m quite torn. My current impression is that Pratt would have a more practical approach, cross-disciplinary integration (tech, production, business etc.) and work/networking opportunities, while RISD would have a more conceptual approach and push me in terms of the bounds of creative thinking. Being in NY, I’ve visited Pratt already and intend on visiting RISD in the next couple of weeks. Curious on people’s accounts on these programs + the design and educational philosophy of these schools? Much thanks for your time and thoughts!

2 Likes

Providence is a great town, but if you love NY I’d probably stay and go to Pratt. Continuing to build your network there will be important. It’s very analog but don’t overlook the value of going to school in a place where you want to live after school.

1 Like

I’m certainly here, taking notes and will be referencing such threads for a while until I figure out how I’ll be funding this education…