Close

Re: Industrial Design Schools: Opinions and Questions

Postby yo » November 6th, 2017, 11:07 am

yo
Administration
Administration

I highly recommend visiting them. All four of them are very different schools.

Cyberdemon
full self-realization
full self-realization

Quackophony wrote:When it comes to Industrial design, I have an inclination towards the ideation and prototyping phase, UI/UX, and interaction. So, based on the above information, here's my question:

Which school/university would you recommend for my interests which also offers a 3-year graduate program? I've looked up schools like CMU, RISD, Pratt, and Georgia Tech, but don't have a solid opinion on them yet.

I would ask the question if you are leaning towards UI/UX if you actually want to pursue Industrial Design at all, or actually want to look for a dedicated interaction design/Human Computer Interaction program. There are programs that will let you do hybrids of both, but if you want to focus specifically you may come out with a more stronger portfolio in that area.

CMU has an outstanding HCI program. Georgia Tech also offers a masters degree in that field. All are good programs but very different. More specifically, if you are going to spend 4 years somewhere, you should decide if it's going to be Pittsburgh, Atlanta, RI or NYC. All have very different vibes which will make some people happy and some miserable.

Quackophony

Hey Mike and Yo, thanks for the suggestions! However I'm not from the US, so visiting these schools prior to admission won't be possible.

I think I wasn't entirely descriptive about my interests, since I see I only mentioned UI/UX to be an interest. Apart from that, I'd say that my primary focus would be user-centric products, both tangible and intangible. Ergonomics is also something that greatly interests me. So for example, designing a game controller would be something I'd like to do in the future, since it has all the aspects that I'm interested in.

I think this is why I want to get into Industrial design, since I don't want to restrict myself to UI/UX only. I feel I'd get more exposure on the whole, and can then make a decision on what I'd want to specialize in.

idainc
step one
step one

Pratt or Art Center. Why on earth would one think arts are properly supported in state schools? Why live in a “red” state? Your choice of school is the first step in defining yourself and your interests.

When my son was looking at schools (non visual fields) I told him to pick a brand name and that way people don’t have to ask you “What state is that in?”

My Choice? Pratt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View_of_the_World_from_9th_Avenue

Re: Industrial Design Schools: Opinions and Questions

Postby yo » November 26th, 2017, 1:07 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

That is an odd way of looking at things. It is hard to argue with the portfolios coming out of the Ohio schools in my opinion.

idainc
step one
step one

yo wrote:That is an odd way of looking at things. It is hard to argue with the portfolios coming out of the Ohio schools in my opinion.

Just a quesiton of proximity to major metropolitan areas and all of the exposure to so many things that affords. That kind of environment rounds out a person and adds so much more than the curriculum itself. The measure of a designer is not their portfolio alone.

viz024

Is Australia has scope for Industrial Design?? and Which is best Universities or colleges to do Masters of industrial design in Australia?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Previous

Return to students and schools