Close

Re: Why did you choose your school?

Postby Ross McCoy » May 21st, 2010, 4:00 pm

Ross McCoy
step four
step four

I went to Kansas State University. While not even a blip on the radar as far as Industrial Design is concerned they have one of the best architecture programs in the US.

I started out going for my architecture degree and then switched after my second year into the Interior Architecture and Product Design program. These are the reasons I choose it.
1. Top 1-2 program in the country for Interior Architecture
2. Human centered design program.
3. five and a half year professional Masters program.
4. Required paid internships and study abroad.
5. Cost. Half the price of going to the other top ranked program (Pratt)
6. Close to home. 2 hour drive from my hometown.

http://capd.ksu.edu/

Postby Renny722 » June 2nd, 2010, 11:53 am

Renny722

I chose my school for the co-op program. 3 6 month internships throughout college. Great experience

Postby Te-Ge » June 2nd, 2010, 1:27 pm

Te-Ge

They offered a direct entry into third year from the college course I was studying. Now they've turned out to be ranked 7th in the UK for Art & Design courses

Postby daniel890925 » June 10th, 2010, 9:23 am

daniel890925

i haven't picked my university yet, because all art institutions and universities just give u an overlook or general look of what they have to offer you. I'd rather opinions coming from professionals on the field to guide myself an made a good choice...ny best options so far are academy of art university, art institute, San Francisco state university, or California college of art and design wht do you think about them ? and if u had any different one would be great to heard bout it

Postby daniel890925 » June 10th, 2010, 9:24 am

daniel890925

haven't picked my university yet, because all art institutions and universities just give u an overlook or general look of what they have to offer you. I'd rather opinions coming from professionals on the field to guide myself an made a good choice...ny best options so far are academy of art university, art institute, San Francisco state university, or California college of art and design wht do you think about them ? and if u had any different one would be great to heard bout it

Re:

Postby daniel890925 » June 10th, 2010, 9:25 am

daniel890925

hey!! i haven't picked my university yet, because all art institutions and universities just give u an overlook or general look of what they have to offer you. I'd rather opinions coming from professionals on the field to guide myself an made a good choice...ny best options so far are academy of art university, art institute, San Francisco state university, or California college of art and design wht do you think about them ? and if u had any different one would be great to heard bout it

Re: Re:

Postby peter89 » August 10th, 2010, 11:40 pm

peter89

daniel890925 wrote:hey!! i haven't picked my university yet, because all art institutions and universities just give u an overlook or general look of what they have to offer you. I'd rather opinions coming from professionals on the field to guide myself an made a good choice...ny best options so far are academy of art university, art institute, San Francisco state university, or California college of art and design wht do you think about them ? and if u had any different one would be great to heard bout it

Don't go to any art institute, i'd definitely go for CCA or San Francisco State, I know some recent graduates and some of the faculty, they are going to give you a much better education and well rounded experience.

Postby peter89 » August 11th, 2010, 12:25 am

peter89

http://www.wwu.edu/id/gallery.shtml

I ended up at Western Washington University its one of the more competitive schools in the northwest which is where I am from... the top graduates are in a lot of ways more diverse that the Design or Art School grads because of the university setting.

A great balance of design, engineering, art, and craft. Great smaller size within the ID program, they cut the sophomore class in half every year and there are only 12 Juniors and Seniors, but still get the large university experience, and its set in an incredibly beautiful city/campus...

http://news.wwu.edu/posted/1538/Aerial.168936.jpg

Postby mambofatale » August 14th, 2010, 10:34 pm

mambofatale

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and am looking into schools to get into designing. I am interested in taking an Associates in Applied Science (Design Engineering), so I would start into the workforce as a "drafter". I will be able to finish a Bachelor of Design or ID afterwards (am looking into U of Winsconsin Stout), but want to get out to get experience as soon as possible.

Does anyone know anything about the reputation of Northwest Technology Institute (Eagan, MN) in terms of design quality?

I'm also trying to nail down what the main difference between engineering design and industrial design is... The jobs seems pretty similiar initially, but I can see that the program requirement are much more art related for the ID program, and much more mechanical for the engineering design is. Both use CAD, of course... So I'm just trying to figure out how the jobs would differ.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks!
Sara

P.S. I am a going back to school again after 10 years in IT.

Postby yo » August 15th, 2010, 10:51 am

yo
Administration
Administration

I doubt much of your associates degree would transfer into an ID bachelors. You might knock out much of your liberal arts and elective credits, but you most likely will have to take at least 3 years of ID studios. ME and ID educations teach very different thought processes.

Essentially, the designer is the architect of the product, and the ME is the structural engineer. The architect is focused on how people use the space and how the spaces interact with one another and the surrounding existing landscape of buildings, while the structural engineer is more focused on the forces on the building, the construction, and making sure everything is sound.

It is not a perfect analogy, but it is similar in product development. The designer is more focused on the user, how the product impacts a person's life, the context and marketplace that product exists in, while the ME is more focused on the manufacturing, construction, and quality issues in their solution finding process...

Of course to be great, or even good at either role, you have to have an understanding of and appreciation for the other.

many of us don't really see design as a job, but more of a way of living, seeing, and applying creativity.

Postby mambofatale » August 15th, 2010, 1:03 pm

mambofatale

Yo,

Thanks so much for that information and the analogy. No one had been able nail down the difference between the two in those terms for me, but that really makes sense!

You are right, too, that I'll have to take 3 more years of art/design related classes to finish an ID degree. Good thing the classes on the syllabus look incredible!

Thanks a million!

Postby Loren IPSVM » September 29th, 2010, 8:52 am

Loren IPSVM
step one
step one

I went to accd because it overlooked the rose bowl. I have no regrets going there, but if I were graduating high school now I would not even consider a school that hikes tuition 15% every year.

Postby bear costume » October 27th, 2010, 12:45 pm

bear costume

I wanted a school to how to design !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby jurrasix » November 9th, 2010, 12:31 am

jurrasix
step two
step two

I'm a 4th year at DAAP (UC). I think the main reason I chose this program was the co-op program, followed by its reputation, and no portfolio required for admittance. Overall I am happy with my choice. Having the opportunity to "test out" industry jobs in various areas really adds a unique level to education, and I'm happy it's a required part of the program.

Postby DesignerX » December 16th, 2010, 3:28 pm

DesignerX
step one
step one

Quite honestly, I got lucky. I was thinking about going into architecture and just happened to take a couple of classes at CCS while in high school. I had no idea what Industrial Design was. I took, "Intro to ID", fell in love, and applied. I had applied to some schools for architecture that were in other parts of the country. We mistakenly thought that since I'd live at home, we save money. It was not cheaper. I had large student loans and credit card debt when I graduated. Those darned art supplies! However, it turned out to be a great school for ID and I was able to pay off my debt over time. Through CCS, I learned a lot about design and communicating my ideas that showed in my portfolio. In addition, without my college's reputation it would have been much tougher to get my foot in doors for interviews. However, I do wish my school had more of an internship program like University of Cincinnati's back when I was there. To graduate with all that real world experience is really helpful.

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to students and schools