Close

HELPP

Postby Kunal » October 22nd, 2009, 4:24 am

Kunal

Hello there,
I have applied as an International Transfer Student to Art Center College of Design and California College of the Arts.
Both of these universities have accepted my application. I have no clue how things would be like in either of the colleges.

And I cannot afford to visit as I am in India, What am I to do ?
On what basis should i distinguish between the two ?

Re: HELPP

Postby PackageID » October 22nd, 2009, 7:39 am

PackageID

Kunal wrote:Hello there,
I have applied as an International Transfer Student to Art Center College of Design and California College of the Arts.
Both of these universities have accepted my application. I have no clue how things would be like in either of the colleges.

And I cannot afford to visit as I am in India, What am I to do ?
On what basis should i distinguish between the two ?

Do a bit of a search on the boards here. This has been asked before. The first thing I would recommend is that you give the schools a call, set up a time to talk to someone in the design dept and get a run down on how things work there. You could also do you research online and look a portfolios on coroflot.
-Justin Coble-
http://coroflot.com/jcoble

"Never let the same dog bite you twice" -Chuck Berry-

mlandres78
step one
step one

The best thing you can do during school is work. Work every summer, even if it's for free - wait tables at night to pay the bills. The more you work, the more your portfolio will be relevant....and you' ll be useful to an office from day one - you'd be surprised at how much of a commodity that is!!

During school you can explore, learn, and be forgiven many errors that could cost you a job once you're out - so do everything you can to pump every connection you have in school - professors, visiting speakers, guest lecturers...and talk with anyone who will listen to you about design, your work, and your dreams. you never know which conversation will lead you where you're going.

littlevisionary

I'm a 3rd year industrial design student. I had a critique just the other day and it led me and my peers to become frustrated and/or confused. Here's the story:

In our sustainable design core we're working on a "clean motion" project for a global energy testing company. The nature of our project is to facilitate the transition from petroleum vehicles to a clean energy source.

We had a mid-project critique where an engineer, product developer, industrial design company owner, etc., came to give us feedback also. The guest who owns his own design firm told us we all need to be focusing more on form. Most of our projects include quite a bit of research, because this project is so complex. We've been asked specifically from the energy company to provide more information as opposed to form.

Based on our feedback, we're being pulled in many directions. Doesn't it save you in the long run to do your research as much as possible throughout the project?

Thoughts?

tarngerine
full self-realization
full self-realization

You shouldn't just stay in research though. I think what the guy meant was that while you are doing research, you should be sketching and thinking of ways you could apply the research. If you don't do any form development and are just steeping yourself in research, eventually you'll just end up with a shitload of research that's way overwhelming to implement into any form.

Also probably because he's a designer, not a researcher.

Re: If I Knew Then What I Know (Advice to students)

Postby bcpid » November 11th, 2010, 8:10 pm

bcpid
step four
step four

Some form or physicalization of ideas can be valuable in the research phase. Even if it's boxes with key features called out or simple storyboards. You'll find as you do your research that simple mockups and scenarios can be useful research tools to help you validate or disprove your hypotheses, or just to help you organize your thinking. Just make sure it's legible, and that an end user or non-designer stakeholder won't be lost when they look at it. In the end your research isn't useful if it doesn't lead to actions, whether those actions are design or recommendations.

Postby yo » November 12th, 2010, 5:33 pm

yo
Administration
Administration

I think that is great advice above. Think of it like a scientist. A scientist researches, makes a hypothesis, and then tests it. That test generates insights that refines further research directions... designing during research is the designer's testing tool, can this idea be productized as an object, a brand, a system, or a service? If not, research another direction....

littlevisionary

yo wrote:I think that is great advice above. Think of it like a scientist. A scientist researches, makes a hypothesis, and then tests it. That test generates insights that refines further research directions... designing during research is the designer's testing tool, can this idea be productized as an object, a brand, a system, or a service? If not, research another direction....

Thanks everyone for the feedback, it really helps. We are currently working on full scale prototypes, so we have enough time to finish the entire package for our major design review.

theflyingdutchman
step one
step one

I am in my 2nd year of ID design study in the UK and already I have 1 or 2 regrets (minor things but things I regret none the less) anyway this thread along with all the responses has probably been one of the most helpful pieces of information that I have read on core77 so thanks to everyone that has been providing feedback for us students :-) !!!!
Check out my web-site at - http://www.ash-id.co.uk/

Postby noti » February 24th, 2011, 8:49 pm

noti

theflyingdutchman wrote:I have 1 or 2 regrets

Such as?

theflyingdutchman
step one
step one

@ noti

Some of these regrets are more relevant to my own personal situation.

But all I would say is that, do your homework when it comes to choosing a good design school that will suit you! I mean you will only know for sure when you have started the course but it is worth spending a bit more time on this.
Check out my web-site at - http://www.ash-id.co.uk/

Postby noti » February 26th, 2011, 1:45 pm

noti

I understand. Thanks Dutch.

Yeah, I hear you. The evaluation process has been a difficult one to say the least as most design schools fall outside the category of traditional colleges. Relevant info is more difficult to come by but it seems that a visit and tour usually tip the balance in either direction.

Right now I'm slated to start at Academy of Art in SF but am still waiting to hear back about San Jose St. Like you said, my largest concern is doing exactly what you've advised... finding a school that is a good fit for me.

theflyingdutchman wrote:@ noti

Some of these regrets are more relevant to my own personal situation.

But all I would say is that, do your homework when it comes to choosing a good design school that will suit you! I mean you will only know for sure when you have started the course but it is worth spending a bit more time on this.

Postby Azrehan » February 27th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Azrehan
step four
step four

Another piece of advise. Especially applies to over 25 y/o students.

The rule is half your age + 7 years with the ladies. Otherwise you're a creep.

This also applies after study... unless you play in a hair metal band.

Postby noti » February 27th, 2011, 11:30 pm

noti

Azrehan wrote:Another piece of advise. Especially applies to over 25 y/o students.

The rule is half your age + 7 years with the ladies. Otherwise you're a creep.

This also applies after study... unless you play in a hair metal band.

ROTFL, noted.

I'm already looking fwd to being the old guy in class.

[dk]
step one
step one

This is an excellent compilation of advice.
Thanks to those who've contributed, some things mentioned have made me look further into my approach of design and research, while other things have just assured my current direction. :) I hope to be able to contribute to this in the upcoming years.

Previous | Go to the Next Page

Return to students and schools