Choosing a good design project for 2nd years

Postby freddie » February 20th, 2013, 4:39 am

freddie
step one
step one

Hi Guys

I have recently began teaching product design and I am looking for some help choosing good, relevant projects for my 2nd year students. I am looking for products which incorporate a nice balance of aesthetics, usability and ergonomics. This project will probably be the centrepiece of their work placement portfolio, so I need concepts that will impress potential employers. Bare in mind they are only 2nd years so their prototyping and rendering skills are not that strong yet.

Any thoughts on a good brief?

Thanks in advance

Freddie

Re: Choosing a good design project for 2nd years

Postby yo » February 20th, 2013, 10:55 am

yo
Administration
Administration

Freddie,

Here are a few ideas:

Tea Kettle: there are so many on the market, but so many are not very functional. An opportunity for mechanics, ergonomics, aesthetics, and brand exploration

Alarm Clock: do we even need them anymore? Is it just a phone dock? Opportunity for ergonomics and to design an everyday product that people love to hate.

GoPro Camera: these things are pretty amazing, and pretty simple, what could be done with a ground up redesign?

Smartphone for a non tech brand: With the stabilization in computing OSs (Mac/PC) one could extrapolate that a similar thing will happen with mobile computing OSs. What would happen if let's say Google gave android dev kits to non tech brands to make phones?

Return to students and schools

©2014 Core77, Inc. All rights reserved
about | contact us | advertise | mailing list