question: to cut or not too cut?

ok, so here is the situation. i am a young inexperienced black male designer with long hair, newly graduated ready to find a gig. most of the time i keep my locks sheathed beneath a hat but occasionally i have it braided.

all things being considered if i were to walk in to your firm/company with my coiffer hidden under a hat or braided up, would this be a factor in your decision to hire me?

whats the word…

just don’t wear a suit and you’d be fine…hair up or hair down…long or short…

ok nix the suit (and i had this real nice searsucker 3-piece suit all polished up, i guess it is not to be…), wearing hats ok in the average firm/ corp gig/interview?

any takers…

would be fine here, but athletics companies are probably less stuffy about stuff like that…

yes, probably…i really just want to guage what people’s honest reaction might be, and how much it would factor into a decision…

on my local news the other day this issue was feature but in regards to black women, and the results weren’t too favorable…

i mean guess i already know the answer to my query, but i hoping to get some other comments/insights…

any place that wouldnt hire you based solely on appearance would probably be a place you wouldnt want to work, anyhow.

As long as you are neat, clean, and well spoken and polite, a little bit of a “different” look (longer hair, interesting clothes, etc.) in my opinion just contribute to your personality and individuality as a designer. i’d probably be more worried if you were so presented so plain and straight laced and looked like a insurance salesman.

Especially in design, i think some leeway is allowed. If you were applying for a position in accounting, maybe the braids would have to go…

still, i’d caution not to be too strange. if someone were to show up at my office for an interview all pimped out like Karim in a white suit, pink sock and ridiculous glasses with a fake lisp, i’d certainly consider cutting the interview short. (especially if it actually was Karim). ha.

Not to dredge up another topic, but also just be sure to keep your ego nicely in check too. Most employers dont want a headcase on their hands.

From what ive read of your posts, and seen of your work, Junglebrodda, i dont think you’ll have any probs in your job hunt.

cheers,

R

ok note to self, return Karim suit…

any place that wouldnt hire you based solely on appearance would probably be a place you wouldnt want to work, anyhow.

yeah but, when push comes to shove it is better to be employed methinks even if the situation ain’t the best

thanks r as well as other who have shared their thoughts here and privately it is appreciated…

Corporate firm:
Dress as you would a formal interview with a company. They seem to be impressed by that…of course, once hired out you should pop in with flip-flops, dreadlocks, and bermudas :wink:

Seriously though, each company/corporation is so different, but it seems that the larger the group, the tighter the look should be. There are still dress codes to be followed…

But as a freelancer, the beauty is that YOU are the employer :slight_smile:

Definitely a plus to freelancing, working in your underwear, getting to listen to your own music, and saving a lot on car insur…er. commute.

that basically what the majority of the advice i have been given has been, so i just decided to go ahead and lose the hair and play it safe at this stage in my not yet started career…rocking the bill cosby baby fro

big ups to everybody that hit me with some advice, shared their experiences, and kind words it gave something more to base my decision on…

cool cool

I know what I wrote to you earlier, but I must admit, when I read your last post I had a pang of sadness.

so i just decided to go ahead and lose the hair and play it safe at this stage in my not yet started career …

I know what I wrote to you earlier, but I must admit, when I read your last post I had a pang of sadness.

Hey, it’s just hair, you can make more … . .

Personally, I get bored with the status quo. Design is about change.

wait, are you saying you are black or that your are jordan?

i guess it would be both if it were the latter. in either case, can i have your autograph?

dude dont cut your hair!

too late?

I’m sure Deez is as black as I am a virgin.

what’s to explain? I don’t think you are black. I am not a virgin.

I don’t want to. But I stand by what I wrote earlier.

is that conditional? i do not have 20k…maybe you can make an exception? and what do you really think about the latest version of your signature shoe?

c’mon, this is the internet where you can be whatever you please…

but if y’all are going to continue, maybe each of you should prove your respective positions…

way to support your fellow alumni :wink: hehe

JB - I agree about being whomever you are on the internet, but I have nothing to prove.

So Deez are you calling me a Wildebeast, am I standing next to a Wildebeast?